• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stolp Starlet SA-500 new build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrietowers

Hello Everyone,

I thought I should start a new thread regarding my Stolp Starlet SA500 that I have recently completed and most possibly the first one to be fitted with a Rotax 912UL engine, I started my project in November 2019 and after 2 years 2 months and 2900hrs she was competed in December 2020. After waiting for permission to ‘test fly’ and for the weather to improve she took to the air for the first time in March 2021 with my a/c inspector / test pilot Peter Montgomery at the controls. Because of the reduced fuel consumption of the Rotax at 13 lt per hour I deleted the top centre section fuel tank and increased the fuselage tank to 50lt and this gives a total endurance of over 3 ½ hours. I also fitted Grove u/c as the original one specified on the plans had been known to be weak and had been known to fail. A big problem building this a/c is that you are completely 'on your own' as factory support is no longer available and you have to make everything like the f/glass turtle deck although I did find a Zenair engine cowl that I ‘cut down’ to fit and this saved me a lot of time. The a/c was covered in Poly-Fiber fabric and then painted with Aerothane to give a high gloss finish. Fitting a Rotax 912UL 80hp not only gives the a/c a low empty weight with electrics and starter but importantly puts the a/c into the middle of its C of G range that are both important to ensure a lower stall speed over a/c with heaver engines. For those who like detail, empty weight is 618lbs, cruises at 90/95mph at 4800rpm and has a 1500 ft per rate of climb. With accommodate pilots from 121lbs to 215lbs and carry 20lbs of luggage, although OK if you have ‘long legs’, I had to install a second set of rudder mounts 3 in further back to reach the pedals for my 5ft 8in height but it must be remembered that the fuselage is quite narrow so try and find one to sit in if you can, if you are broad! and thinking about building one. (a Stolp SA900 V-Star uses a very similar fuselage)

There are a few articles / photos on WWW and video's on youtube for those interested, use this link to the a/c first flight

Attachments

• ssfuse.JPG
    ssfuse.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 56
  • flying over the English countryside.JPG
    flying over the English countryside.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 44
  • Starlet without wing fabric.jpg
    Starlet without wing fabric.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 50
  • building outside.jpg
    building outside.jpg