• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sources of Dimensional Aircraft Lumber and Sheet Goods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATP-Pete

I've pretty much decided to build an Osprey GP-4, and am just beginning to realize the commitment it will require. I think the satisfaction and self-esteem it will help me develop will be very well worth it. Besides, most of our family live 1,600 nm away and we also like to take other long trips that the GP-4 would make possible during a long weekend. My wife and I also dislike the very obtrusive TSA screenings for Part 121 airlines which seem to be getting more odious. For the couple of hours we'd spend 'checking in' at the airport, we could be 300 sm closer to our destination!

I spoke with George Pereira a couple of days ago and will purchase plans from him. In anticipation of accumulating building materials, and I mean dimensional lumber that I do not have to plane myself, who has the best prices for lumber and sheet goods? I also have to figure in the cost of shipping to Fort Worth, Texas where we live.

Although some of my formal training is in Materials Science, I cannot answer whether or where substituting poplar for some of the spruce is acceptable. I would rather build a strong airframe than save a few bucks on poplar, though. When I spoke with George, he mentioned that a two-part adhesive epoxy, T-88, is the modern adhesive of choice for wooden aircraft structures.

I'm sorry to belabor these points but I'm very eager to get started and I'm trying to learn from others how to avoid pitfalls.

Thank you for your help in advance. I will greatly appreciate al of your future comments.
--Pete

Last edited:
Back