• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Single or double place, retractable, conventional twin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64wing

Hi all,

Thoughts on designing a single place retractable taildragger twin?
The mission criteria are speed, endurance, and comfort.

No expectations of short field performance. This is a traveling airplane.

I was thinking something with a pair of UL260i engines, which would burn about 12-13gph at max useable engine rpm.
Manual gear retraction to keep things light and simple.
Manual flaps (light/simple again).

Would entertain arguments for a twin boom design, but a single boom/fuselage would be a simpler build. I would love to hear your input on that.

Would consider any materials, but prefer aluminum as that is what we are most experienced with around here.

This is a preliminary thought, so please pitch in with questions and concerns to help me get the mental gears clicking!

Disclaimer: I fully acknowledge that this is about 90% pipe dream, 10% realistic at best. Let's all be daydreamers for a while and see if we can put it in the 50/50 area.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back