runways

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I watch Trent's videos I fast forward past the fluff and just watch the flying. He and his buddies do have fun with their planes and his videography really is quite good. But hey, if he can entice more thirtysomethings into real flying, that's a good thing.

skip SMITH

I'm beginning to understand and probably won't do anything until I have the skills and experience to to attempt it. thanks for the reality check

Doran Jaffas

I'm beginning to understand and probably won't do anything until I have the skills and experience to to attempt it. thanks for the reality check
If it is your dream then in this reality it is worth chasing. The vast vast majority of us on here will be more than willing to help you get whatever experience you need.

Stolch

800 feet of runway is plenty for a 750 once you become proficient in it providing there are no obstacles higher than a fence at the approach end. If you have to clear trees to drop in 800 ft. is still adequate but your landing margin for error is greatly reduced. Definitely determine the prevailing winds for your area before deciding if this is a usable piece of property. A CH750 will not take off in 100 feet from a grass strip at a DA of nearly 2,000 unless it’s level and you just mowed it, have a little help from a headwind, your power plant is producing at least 100 hp and your prop is pitched for climb, it’s not a hot Summer day, and you are the sole occupant with no more than a half load of fuel. If you decide to do it, cut the trees as far back away from the runway as you can afford. On a completely calm morning or late afternoon no big deal, but trees lining the edges of a narrow runway can make even the slightest wind do strange things as it passes over them and drops down onto your field.

skip SMITH

800 feet of runway is plenty for a 750 once you become proficient in it providing there are no obstacles higher than a fence at the approach end. If you have to clear trees to drop in 800 ft. is still adequate but your landing margin for error is greatly reduced. Definitely determine the prevailing winds for your area before deciding if this is a usable piece of property. A CH750 will not take off in 100 feet from a grass strip at a DA of nearly 2,000 unless it’s level and you just mowed it, have a little help from a headwind, your power plant is producing at least 100 hp and your prop is pitched for climb, it’s not a hot Summer day, and you are the sole occupant with no more than a half load of fuel. If you decide to do it, cut the trees as far back away from the runway as you can afford. On a completely calm morning or late afternoon no big deal, but trees lining the edges of a narrow runway can make even the slightest wind do strange things as it passes over them and drops down onto your field.
If the bark beetle keeps killing the tall pines maybe in few years it won't matter

ToddK

I fly a champ out of a 100ft wide runway with hangers and trees on one side, and trees right up on the other. Supposedly that puts about 32" on either wing, but on approach it sure looks closer then that. Really kills the wind though. Makes cross wind landings pretty easy.

Skinnybird

The Runaways...
runaways.jpg
Oops, you said "runways..."
58OH.jpeg
58OH: Rattlesnake Island, Ohio
N41°40.75' / W82°50.83' -- 568 ft AMSL -- 1500 ft x 150 ft and 988 ft x 150 ft
Reports of mutant sea bass with frikin lazers in Lake Erie have not been confirmed.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I fly a champ out of a 100ft wide runway with hangers and trees on one side, and trees right up on the other. Supposedly that puts about 32" on either wing, but on approach it sure looks closer then that. Really kills the wind though. Makes cross wind landings pretty easy.
I sure hope you meant 32' (feet), not 32" (inches)!