Rivet gun recommendation

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I'm considering purchasing a rivet gun.
Live looked at the Eastwood rivet gun set here
http://www.eastwood.com/solid-rivet-kit.html

i would appreciate comments about it or recommendations towards a decent one.

Bill
Georgia
I would think twice about that, their listing does not mention whether it is a 2X, 3X, or whatever size/strength rivet gun. Their description talks about automotive use "similar" to aircraft stuff.

If you are going to want to use this gun to build airplane stiff, you will find a 2X gun does 3/4 of everything you need other than the small number of large rivets (5/32 and 3/16) for large attachments. I would go with a genuine aircraft quality gun. Some others here have bucked many many MANY more rivets than I have, so their recommendations should be taken as more gospel than mine.

What kind of work are you planning to do???? Build a full scale F-4, small trim tab repairs on a Hummel Birrd, build an RV-8 tail kit, repair a Cessna aileron???? The chioce of tool will be more based on what you will be us ing it for than anything else.

EDIT: I have only a 2X size gun, 95% of all my sheet metal work uses 3/32 and 1/8 size rivets, and this gun is enough to do that. If I were starting an RV project (sound of knees knocking) I would go out and get a 3X, but I'll bet 3/4 of the airplane could be built with the 2X.

billyvray

Yeah a brief search has clued me in a bit. I'm looking at a 2x or 3x kit. I want to play with aluminum angle and thin sheet structures.

rbrochey

Robert Baslee at Airdrome recommended this one to me... about forty bucks at HF... and it works great, I have no issues with aluminum riveting...

rivet gun.jpg

billyvray

That works great for blind rivets, but I'm looking for a solid rivet gun.
I've just about settled on the ATS 3x gun I think.

Angusnofangus

That works great for blind rivets, but I'm looking for a solid rivet gun.
I've just about settled on the ATS 3x gun I think.
I think you will find the ATS will do nicely. I have a 3X rivet gun that I have used for more than 25 years, US Air Tool IIRC. Great gun, very sensitive trigger. The trigger feel is the most important thing. Just use dry air and a couple of drops of air tool oil regularly, and it will last for years.

billyvray

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I think I've made up my mind with at least a better tool to start with.

Bill

Latest posts