• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Phenolic versus Aluminum Pillow Blocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't use anything but the white nylon products. Resilient, doesn't soak up fluids, cuts and drills easily, never needs lubed...can sometimes be purchased locally.

I have purchased above as thick white cutting boards.

Kevin

Two good discussions on this topic can be found at http://www.sonerai.net/smf/index.php?topic=3638 and http://www.sonerai.net/smf/index.php?topic=4185. There's a couple of useful links there to suppliers.

Phenolic, although attractive to me as a traditional material, was way too expensive. I ended up buying a 1"x12"x12" slab of Delrin (Acetal) from eplastics.com, which happens to be located about 10 minutes from where I work. It cost me $47 plus tax. Pricey, and more material than I need, but I had other projects in mind for what I don't use on the Sonerai. You machine it with regular wood working tools.

ePlastics has all kinds of plastic, including HDPE and UHMW. Or you can try to find a cheap cutting board at a Dollar type store or Walmart.

O'Bill

If the pillow blocks are fit properly, and lubricated, it shouldn't make any difference which material you use. I've seen aluminum, phenolic, nylon, UHMW, maple, and oak. They all work. I have aluminum blocks in my airplane. I cross-drilled the top half of each block so that I put a drop of oil in at the annual inspection. The use of nylon or UHMW eliminates the need for lube. I'm using UHMW for the bearing blocks on my UltraPup project.

Since the phenolic weigh 1/2 as much as the aluminum, I will go that route.

If anybody is in the market for a full set of aluminum pillow blocks, let me know. $10, and I will cover the shipping.

I need some advice. The pillow blocks are reamed to .750". They are perfect. However, the control tube binds when the blocks are in place. I cleaned the tube and measured it at .754". There is my problem. I thought about putting some lapping compound on the tube, clamping the pillow blocks in place and lapping in some clearance. However, I'm afraid the compound is too course and I will end up with too much clearance. Perhaps some rubbing compound would work. Anyone have an idea or some experience with this?

Thanks,
Chucker

I would try using a scrap piece of 3/4 tubing chucked into a drill somehow and spin it with laping compound in the blocks. stop when the clearance is right.

I cut my nylon blocks in half horizontally, put a washer on either side and bolted it all together. I experimented with different size washers until it felt just right.

The lapping compound is working. It's a bit of a mess to clean up and it is a bit coarse. I am using a Scotchbrite pad to polish out the scratching left by the compound.

Fred,

Did you tap the cross-drilled holes for set screws or pipe plugs? Or, are you using rubber plugs? Or, are they simply left open?

My one piece aluminum blocks are super smooth and very low slop, but required an incredible amount of profanity to get working without binding 😜

flyingant said:
I cut my nylon blocks in half horizontally, put a washer on either side and bolted it all together. I experimented with different size washers until it felt just right.

I did the same the phenolic material needs zero lubrication of verbal or petroleum kind. It was one of the first things I took on when I got my project. I also used it as wire guides for the horizontal stab adjust.

Attachments

• 2008 May 24 001.jpg
    2008 May 24 001.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2008 May 24 009.jpg
    2008 May 24 009.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 2008 May 27 016.JPG
    2008 May 27 016.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2008 Jul 01 010.JPG
    2008 Jul 01 010.JPG