• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Over G protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

As some of you may know, I've got this strange attraction for fast things.
Fast cars.
Fast bikes.
Fast planes.
The big problem comes with that last one. If one was to build a fast jet sport aircraft, the problem of dealing with high a G environment begins to become an issue. I have seen in several sport aircraft accelerometer readings of up to and in excess of 6 G's, but this would be for very short periods and in any case even high performance military jets get taken out of service for structural checks if they exceed 7G's.
What is avaliable in the way of G protection for the civilian pilot?
Are "G-suits" avaliable to civilian pilots? I know of the use of tightly strapped canvas flight siuts to help restrict blood flow to the lower areas of the body, but wouldn't these be awfully uncomforable when compared to a flight suit that can adjust the pressure as required?
Is there any devices avaliable to bring the aircraft to straight and level (or even a gentle climb) in the event of G-LOC?
I couldn't see the installation of the required controllers for a G suit being too difficult, if you are going to be building a plane that can pull this sort of sustained G loadings, then the addition of such a system should be fairly straightforward.

Last edited:
Back