• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oil change time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the empi 72 row . Was a 24 row bottom mount. Hey I was wondering how you did your exhaust. Is it really short stacks or bent and made to come flat to the cowl ? I am going to weld a mew exhaust up and try to do more streamline then just popping out the bottom

Those are the stamped coolers with no fins right? Which version of exhaust are you referring to?

The exhaust was just cut flush. It takes a while to get it right but it is a whole let less drag than pipes sticking out in the wind. Be careful however. It will burn your cowl if you don't protect the fiberglass.

New note: I flew 1 hour with Empi oil pressure relief spring and plunger booster kit with no problems and had about 60 psi. The next time I took off, I noticed my oil pressure fluctuating so I landed immediately. Turned out I blew my oil cooler. I don't think the plungers got stuck since they fell out once I removed the bolts. I have the stock VW top mount oil cooler. I ordered and installed a new stock oil cooler and reinstalled my original oil relief springs and plungers. Oil pressure is lower but I feel better that there's less likelihood to over pressurize the oil cooler. Oil temps are good-rarely get above 180F.

I try to stay close to the formula: 10psi for every 1000RPM. Extra oil pressure will result in hotter oil due to cooler bypass. As you found out, very high oil pressure can damage the cooler. In my opinion, higher oil pressure does not lubricate any better than adequate oil pressure. It does, however, require more HP and presents more risk. With the VW oil cooling design, it will cause the oil to bypass the cooler and therefore produce higher oil temperatures. High oil temperatures can contribute to higher head temperatures. Essentially, bypassing the oil cooler is a waste of precious cooling air passing through your cowl at the expense of speed and efficiency. Now I will go burn this soap box. Sorry for the rant.

Chucker

Last edited:
The exhaust was just cut flush. It takes a while to get it right but it is a whole let less drag than pipes sticking out in the wind. Be careful however. It will burn your cowl if you don't protect the fiberglass.
I plan on plating the fiberglass and maybe wrap the exhaust. Was there any change in performance? Cutting mine will be really easy if that's all I need to do.

I try to stay close to the formula: 10psi for every 1000RPM. Extra oil pressure will result in hotter oil due to cooler bypass. As you found out, very high oil pressure can damage the cooler. In my opinion, higher oil pressure does not lubricate any better than adequate oil pressure. It does, however, require more HP and presents more risk. With the VW oil cooling design, it will cause the oil to bypass the cooler and therefore produce higher oil temperatures. High oil temperatures can contribute to higher head temperatures. Essentially, bypassing the oil cooler is a waste of precious cooling air passing through your cowl at the expense of speed and efficiency. Now I will go burn this soap box. Sorry for the rant.

Chucker
Stay on the soapbox lots of useful information when you are up there. Finally have my temps at and bellow 220 for my oil. Going to do a little more tinkering but just gonna fly for now.

Getting closer to running this up.
Hence time to order oil.
Great Plains 2276.
Further arguments in favor of 10-30 wt? (Rotella T4 C)
Or 20-50? (Brad-Penn original green)

smt

Back