New replica 1944 Hamilton-Standard prop

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
A 60% scaled P-47 propeller would be just under 95” in diameter. I think that he is looking at the 90” but he is focused on proper scale, so he may go for an exact scale.

BJC

TXFlyGuy

A 60% scaled P-47 propeller would be just under 95” in diameter. I think that he is looking at the 90” but he is focused on proper scale, so he may go for an exact scale.
BJC
The 90" would look very good. Correct scale on mine (3/4) would be 99". The 90 inch prop looks just fine even though it's a tad small.
This prop started life as a 96 inch design. But Jim Rust cut it down to 90 for multiple reasons.

Saville

Generally speaking, do the Titans and the other P-51 scaled replicas sit at a higher angle when on the ground? Seems that way when I look at photos but I can't be sure.

If so, is it for prop clearance?

Thanks

TXFlyGuy

Generally speaking, do the Titans and the other P-51 scaled replicas sit at a higher angle when on the ground? Seems that way when I look at photos but I can't be sure.

If so, is it for prop clearance?

Thanks
The problem with the T-51, especially on earlier versions, is the tail wheel assembly is too short. This reduces rudder ground clearance. Later versions have fixed this issue.

In level attitude, the prop clearance on the 90 inch model is 18 inches.

Here is a link to a nice example: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lBtDAUjCdM8/Vl_sHvkbmEI/AAAAAAAAK98/equc4h3gDoA/s1600/IMG_7602.JPG

Last edited:

Jimstix

Other than the prop, the biggest tell on the Dallas-built "K" and the Inglewood-built "D" is the canopy. The "K" has a slight outer mold line (OML) difference, the most visible of which is the bump at the back of the transparency.