• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

NACA 25112 Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undean

I've come up with what appears to me to be a very well mannered airfoil shape. At least on paper. It is a modification of a 25112. Attached are a few pictures of outputs from XFLR5.

In my ultralight design I was looking at utilizing low moment airfoil(s) for the wings along with carbon skins. Originally I was looking at a 23012 but recall reading that it is fairly sensitive to its dimensions and as such dirt/grime or a minimally out of spec part could severely impact performance. I looked at quite a few other airfoils including 25112 and 43012A.

I like this mod (25113-21) as it appears it would be relatively insensitive to being clean or dirty, has excellent low Reynolds number performance for its very benign pitching moment, a nice and stable center of pressure, and "good enough" other characteristics.

As it has been some time since my Aero coursework please disabuse me of any these notions if they are questionable or suggest another airfoil that may be "better".

It is my first time inserting pictures so hopefully it will go smoothly...

Edit1: The pictures do not blow up as large as I had hoped. I'll post a few different ones shortly.
Edit2: New pictures

Airfoils-Key.PNG
Airfoils-Snip-foils.PNG
Airfoils-Cl-Alpha.PNG
Airfoils-Cm-Alpha.PNG
Airfoils-Cl-Cd-Alpha.PNG
Airfoils-Cl-Cd.PNG
Airfoils-Xnp-Alpha.PNG

Last edited:
Back