• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My S1 Restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a couple stats for you. Still working on data but this seems consistent.

Max rpm 3450 in the climb. 80 kts. No VSI but using a watch I'm getting about 900 fpm climb. This will be revised. Climb performance was a little flat but it's summertime. Cruise seems to settle in nicely at 3100 rpm judging by sound and feel but could be whatever you want 140-150 kts. Decent profiles need to be worked out/ perfected. Right now, I'm getting what I want out of about 2200 rpm and 80 kts pretty much right into the flare which is a little long because I'm flying it on the hot side and there's not alot of drag. Using 80 keeps things easy and seems to keep things cool enough too. This is a good starting point in any event. I'll keep you updated.

Today was a hot day (26C) with lots of waiting time holding short. Idle oil pressure was 20 PSI. Idle is set at 950 RPM but it likes 1050 or 1100 alot better which is good for taxi. Oil temp was high but still green. Once flying and with the rpm up, no issues.

Before, it was blue. After, its black. That took a while. Now I can get on with some re-assembly.20210710_113024.jpg20210710_151258.jpg

I'm thinking I will re-do the front half in gloss black. I'm not that happy with the way it looks. The rear fuselage is fine but the cockpit should shine imho.

As far as I can tell Gaston was big on SU carbs but "tolerated" the Zenith. My S1 has a Zenith and it seems just fine. Very responsive. I did modify my intake tubes though.

This forum is actually a gold mine. I read every post Gaston put up about my S1 and was able to fill in a couple of blanks.

Good luck with your S2.
True this I conversed with Gaston at length about the SU carbs. I had a beautiful pair for my project I bought re-built from England. And an eBay pair I sold to Tom...???? A member here. In Wyoming who has gone West now. And his Sonerai with him I assume.

Painted. Can't wait to get back to the hangar and start putting it back together.

Attachments

• 20210720_120248.jpg
    20210720_120248.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 29
Trying to get everything I can installed and this winter I will do the fabric work and paint in the spring. Fun little project!!

Attachments

• 20210728_201538.jpg
    20210728_201538.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 20210728_201518.jpg
    20210728_201518.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 39
Fabric is going on the fuselage!! Tail feathers have first layer of fabric complete. I'm using the Stewarts system with two layers of fabric, no tapes! Not my first cover job but first time using that technique. Should look slick if I can pull it off lol

Attachments

• 20210831_152344.jpg
    20210831_152344.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
Covering is well under way and the double covering method is awesome!!! You might not be able to tell from the picture but it sure is smooth. No pinked edges is going to look awesome with paint.

Attachments

• 20210918_205953.jpg
    20210918_205953.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 30
The wings are very nice and in great condition but the fuselage was in need of a re-do. Which is the fun part to build imho. I stripped it all down and lately I have been sanding the old paint prepping for a nice layer of black. But here's a few pics of some of the progress I've made. The S1 did not have a canopy so i made one. Great fun and so easy to do. View attachment 15486
Wow! Great job on the canopy Roger, and in Canada! I've bought Steve's with a brand new canopy installed but if I need a new one, I will definitely reach out.

Back