• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

MSD ignitions in airplanes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschuld

1057.jpg

G3i

This seems to be the only product that I am aware of that uses the MSD ignition in airplanes. Of course the G3 is designed to allow a standard MSD ignition to work with magneto aircraft engines.

My interest is in corcair conversion use, but since the subject involves all auto conversions engines, I put it hear.

MSD has developed an awesome reputation in the auto industry. The Multiple Spark Discharge feature has proven itself to be a very good and reliable system. It is the standard in harsch sitations such as racing marine use and off road Baja racers. The built in soft touch rev limiter might even come in handy for those who do mild areo in fixed pitch props(no accidental overspeed with the prop "unloaded"). The corvair conversions use redundant ignitions. One basic as dirt points system for the secondary and an electronic ignition for the primary. I was wondering why MSD ignition have not seen more use in applications like these. MSDs tend to reduce carbon buildup, start easier, give more over all spark for cleaner burning, and the ability to alter the ignition curve on the fly, etc. I could see an arguement being one more point of failure, and it would add another 16oz to the plane. With the independent points secondary ignition the former doesn't seem to be such a big deal. The latter isn't a killer either. For someone who is contemplating a draw through turbo down the line, I can see some benefit for being able to taylor the ignition to suit the turbo.

Any thoughts?

George

Back