• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mitsubishi 3A92 development as an 85 hp and 120hp aero engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westcliffe01

Supporting Member
As eluded to in an earlier post, I have decided that it makes the most sense basing my engine development on an engine sold and supported in the US. This gives customers options, like buying a new engine from dealer service, buying used engines on ebay or potentially sourcing their own engine and buying only what is needed from an integrator like myself. I'm 56 now and have some working years left, but should I meet an untimely demise, people will be able to source replacement engine cores and keep their system operational even if I'm not around....

Some pictures of the engine without the intake and exhaust. It is a 3 cylinder DOHC engine with a chain driven pair of cams. The engine is pretty robust, there are youtube videos of engine teardowns with 300+k miles on them and they were still running.

There are some coolant pipes at the rear of the engine that are likely to interfere with the redrive if the engine was to be mounted in a completely vertical orientation. So the least complex solution may be to incline the engine to get them out of the way.
151193-e5d257bb6b1892a2c9a6fd026afdc30c.jpg

151194-e190910af25c39cab3c0950956b6566b.jpg
151195-e8fce2f9b07fb8af83532ea4f63c79b9.jpg

The stock intake is pretty bulky, although glass filled nylon is pretty light. The throttle body is positioned to the rear of the engine which in a tractor application would be facing forward in what might be an inconvenient location. There will have to be some testing to see if a lightweight short runner aluminum intake is more appropriate.
1713041799922.png

I should be picking up my prototype engine next week, stripping it down and cleaning it and then sourcing a metrology shop to get the interface dimensions measured and the outer surfaces scanned to have a representative set of CAD data to work with.

Back