methods to batten plywood ribs....

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by Jtrom, Dec 10, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1

Jtrom

Jtrom

Jtrom

My plans call for all plywood ribs to have the top and bottom battened with a spruce strip 1/4 by 3/8 in. I have seen builders make elaborate jigs with grooves routed out to hold the strips and cam blocks to apply pressure. Anyone have any simpler ideas with good results?

2. Dec 10, 2011 #2

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Would staples or brads split the spruce? If not, a simple air-powered stapler/brad nailer would be a quick way to hold things in place while the glue sets.

3. Dec 11, 2011 #3

Jtrom

Jtrom

Jtrom

What kind of staples does everyone use?...and what is the best method for pulling them out without damage? what about stapling over a piece of plasic or something and pulling on the plastic to remove the staple...

4. Dec 14, 2011 #4

conestogaman

conestogaman

conestogaman

There is a product called a staple strip which is a plastic strap you staple thru, which allows you to pull out the staples by pulling on the strip. I m sure ACS, Wicks, and other aircraft suppliers will carry it.

5. Dec 17, 2011 #5

Jtrom

Jtrom

Jtrom

I can't seem to find that product doing online searches.Do you have a link? I have heard you can also use thick cardboard strips instead of wood nailing strips when stapling. Anyone have any stapling tips? I am a newbie. Thanks

6. Dec 18, 2011 #6

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Cardboard is good. Cut it into small bits like squares, rectangles, etc. to go under individual staples. Fabric strips are sometimes used under rows of staples, such as when skinning a wing with plywood. Don't drive the staples all the way down...let them stand proud about an eighth of an inch or so to make it easier to remove later.

7. Dec 19, 2011 #7

craig saxon

craig saxon

craig saxon

Cut your own strips from 1/16" ply . electric staple these so the horizintal part of the staple holds the strip down. Allow the glue to cure and remove the strip with staples. part of the point of using the strips is to spread the clamping pressure to get a consistent glue line. Card board or fabric are not stiff enough to do this and your skin will dip at each staple station.
    Craig