• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Merry X-mas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLANEGUY

Hi to all...

Yes it is X-mas eve and I am alone on my computer joining a forum!!! But its OK cause my wife and I are both pilots professionally which at times makes for some strange schedules... Needless to say I don’t mind trading the solitude for the rest of the life... She'll be home the 26th and well have out x-mas then... So with the last few days off I have had some time to work on my project! I just found this site this week while I was surfing on my phone but I have to admit that I have spent hours reading posts about things that have been concerning me for quite some time. Yall have done such a great job here I hope you keep it up. I am so pleased to have found you.

My personal interests (with regard to the site) are in the designing and building portions. I have been working on a design for quite some time (about 4 or 5 years) and have finally locked it in enough to start a mock-up that will be used as a pattern for the prototype. I’m not sure that there will be more than one but if things work out (read "if I survive the experience") there could be more. I am no engineer, but I am pretty handy with junk and stuff and I deal with high performance aircraft on a daily basis and I guess I’m just crazy enough to try to fly the thing I’m building in my head!

The design is a two seat (well looking more like 1+ at the moment) tandem low wing. I’m hoping for the 2000lb mark which will put me at a wing loading of 26 psf and a cruise power loading of 5.5lb/hp give or take. The power will come from a Nissan race motor with a home grown PSRU (yes I red the posts). The wing plan was stolen directly from the Spitfire but with NACA 230xx foils. The construction will be a mixed bag of stuff but mostly wood (I have an abundance left over from a KR-2 project that didn’t survive a shelving collapse in my garage!) There will be parts where plywood skins will be supported by foam and parts with more traditional stringers and so on. The wing skins will be plywood out most of the span, but the tips will be fiberglass over foam to make the proper shape. Wooden spars (solid... I know... Let er rip guys) plywood ribs integral fuel tanks depending on my feeling when I get there I may fill the wing with foam as well (perhaps I can use it as a fishing platform later on!) Fully retractable via cable and electric winch. And yes, the little wheel will be in the back! The plan is to be able to do mild positive aerobatics (remove paint and asphalt from the runway on the low pass) and be able to put landmarks on the tail at a clip with out breaking the bank... probably too much to ask from a do-it-your-self-er (please keep me honest) but that is the way I role!

The pic is from today after I got done with working in the shop. So it is construction progress to date.

Good to be hear.

PS I am not an engineer so please type slowly (I will get it, but perhaps not when in greek!) Oh and Ill do my best with the spell check but forgive me I’m english challenged (native Texan!)

_travis

Attachments

• CIMG2256 Small.JPG
    CIMG2256 Small.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 223

Latest posts

Back