Quantcast

lone star engines

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Cy V

They recently announced on Facebook that they are working on a new engine concept. Here is what they wrote (copy and pasted):

Our goal has always been to achieve 4 stroke power without a compromise of weight or performance. Here are the numbers involved with our goals. The bench mark engine for light aircraft has been the Rotax 503 for decades. The 503 is 30.45 cubic inch giving it a displacement ratio of 1.64 hp /inch. Actually poor performing by todays 2 stroke standards. The Rotax 912 is 82.6 cu in producing 1.15hp/inch. Although the 912 produces good power it is at the edge of its envelope in naturally aspirated form. The current engine the we are working on, we call the NEXT. In stock trim it is 39 cubic inches producing 1.15 hp per inch in the same rpm band as a 912. With aftermarket tuning equipment the Next is capable of around 1.3hp per inch, placing it at a true 50hp. All of this with a 25 amp charging system and electric start at a flying weight of 95-100 lbs. The engine we base the NEXT off of offers an abundance of modern technology and great availability (better than VW). It makes for a more affordable option than the half vw based engines. I love my old vws, but there is just a lot better of technology on the table right now...

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I haven't heard anything about them lately. Here are two previous threads where Lone Star/FLYTHERED.COM/ the Javelina engine are discussed.
FLYTHERED.COM

New 1/2 VW Conversion with Harley Davidson Parts

Oops, I see Cy has more news. Hmm, 640cc to make 50 HP. 4 stroke? If so, it is either liquid cooled or it won't make 50hp for long.

Last edited:

pictsidhe

There has been at least one thread on their Harley engine. Many of us are skeptical about their ability to meet claimed performance.