• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Line of thrust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC227

Hi Guys,

Please pardon, I'm new at this and the question may not even be worth asking (i.e. "any idiot should know this..........") :)

I've been looking around for kits, plans etc and thought that I had settled on a kit. It is the FFP 80% Tiger Moth. I called Fisher this morning and was told that kits are no longer available, full size plans only. I'm cool with that as I can probably save some money and the full size plan idea makes sense to me.

Anyway, I'm not crazy about the engine options. Rotax 582, Jabiru (spelling?) and Geo conversions. I'm not crazy about the 2 stroke sound and the other conversions are pricey. All are good I'm sure but I was hoping that I could use a VW engine > http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/Default.asp?page=80 with this reduction drive http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/Default.asp?page=80 The weight of the engine falls inline with what the specs listed on the site call for but the Tiger Moth is heavier in gross weight by appx. 200 lbs.

The guy I spoke with at Fisher said that he knew of no one that is currently using this system. My thinking is that if the 582 with reduction drive will work then this should work too, but I really don't know. Any help is much appreciated. Oh yeah, he said that the line of thrust on all Fisher designs coincide with the top longeron (spelling again?) Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Back