• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lead Deposit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc W

I am doing a 50 hour inspection, valve adjust, etc. on my Jabiru engine. I bought a borescope last winter and this is the second time I have used it to look at my cylinders and valves. Yesterday I was concerned to see strange discoloration in one combustion chamber that I didn't see in the last inspection.
WIN_20240430_13_26_10_Pro.jpg

The white deposits run across the combustion chamber, over and under the exhaust valve head and seat.

It was a puzzle but the engine runs good and has good power. Now I think maybe the discoloration is leftover lead deposits form previous owners running 100LL. The previous owner had problems with lead fouled plugs and started running Decalin. I have always run auto gas. That cylinder used to run extremely rich and cold and was previously carboned up. Since my manifold mod that cylinder is running much leaner and hotter and the carbon deposits are burning off which has exposed the lead I think. It looks like the lead is burning off the seat first. Do these deposits look familiar to anyone?

Back