• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Landing Gear Knee Joint Bushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

I'm designing my trailing link landing gear and I wondering what sort of bushing to use at the knee joint. I expect the joint to take a lot of torsion load because the link extends outboard just a little, a la the FA-18 Hornet. This load will be canceled somewhat by the shock strut.

The thru bolt is a close tolerance high shear 5/8 dia jobby. I'm trying to decide on whether to use an oil empregnated bronze bushing or a 4130 steel bushing. I'm concerned that the bronze may yield under the load and I'll have to replace it often. With the steel bushing I'm concerned that it may wear the bolt. I plan to have a zerk grease fitting.

Does anyone have experience with steel and bronze bushings that see this kind of usage? Which material should I use and why?

Back