• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Keeping it non-airworthy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Tim

Weird topic, right? I help manage a private collection of airplanes that may become a proper museum some day but in the meantime I’m a believer in building relationships with other groups and museums.

There’s an air museum local to me that doesn’t have a single airplane. I presently have no involvement with them but from time to time I kick around the notion of donating an airframe to them to really help legitimize what they’re doing. The thing is I’m certainly not sending anything airworthy and the hopeless junk is just that - hopeless junk. What if I built them something to display? Funds and time being what they are it wouldn’t be done to airworthy standards; wood would just be machined down from construction lumber, glue would be Titebond, steel would probably be recycled scrap, etc. My worry is if they ever de-accession the thing what’s to keep some yokel from trying to fly it, and what would keep me from being responsible for their poor decisions?

Back