• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Jack Points?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azjoe

Who says it won't work?
I haven't found anything mentioned on the board. What's the best way to jack up / lift up the Sonerai? I want to pull the main gear off but I'm not sure if it's best to support the weight by the wings or fuselage.

-Joe

If I was doing it I would just put a 2 by 6 across the fuselage underneath from side to side, that will allow jacks to lift it for sure.

If I were to do the 2 X 6 across the bottom of my S-1 it would be crushing the bottom of the fiberglass cowl and would probably mess up the paint...

Let's here from Fred K. and Jeff??

I too have been wondering about this.

I can't get a floor jack underneath the end of the gear leg at the wheel because I have a Grove gun drilled gear and that is where the AN hydraulic fitting comes out. I would hate to have to pull the top cowl and put a strap around the motor mount and lift the front part of the airplane, but right now that is looking like a viable option.

Kevin

This topic is good timing since I need to replace the gear on my plane also. This is how Im gonna do it

1- With a 2x4 spread across the longerons just aft of the gear Jack up the aircraft and secure with stands
2-Remove gear
3- Move stands and 2x4 to orginal landing gear location until ready to install new gear.

Kevin R. said:
Chopperman,

Is the area aft of your gear where you intend to put the 2X4 tube and fabric or the aft portion of fiberglass cowling.

Kevin

It is tube and fabric, btw when I mean aft, I mean the 2x4 will be butt up against the landing gear.

Nylon strap and an engine hoist, lift at the firewall. Picked up my Smith with a 320 on the front. Did a complete gear alignment.
Good luck.
Mark

I have two ways to jack my SII. The cheap way is to use a short piece of 4 X 4 beside the brake caliper, then lift it with a 8' length of 2 X 4. It's a class 1 lever

I also took a 6" length of 4 X 4 and cust a leaf shaped slot in it \ / . Place it under the gear leaf and mark the bottom to cut it flat.
After cutting it flat I drilled out a hole in the bottom that fits a 5 ton bottle jack.

Some builders tape the jaws of a large c-clamp, then tighten it onto the leaf with the C downwards. The same bottle jack will lift the c-clamp and the gear with it. But these are good for changing tires and the bottle jack for tires and brakes.

Using the c-clamp is how I jack it up to work on the wheels. But non of these solutions work if your goal is to remove the gear from the fuselage.

So far the winning suggestion seems to be to suspend the aircraft from the ceiling by the engine mounts, although I'd rather have it supported from the floor. My hanger isn't really outfitted to hoist by the ceiling.

Hmm. Makes me think a couple bushings should be welded in as jackpoints when I get around to building the fuse later this year.

The Other Bill

Well I just removed the main gear and wheels from my Sonerai II this past weekend.

1. LIft the tail and make it horizotal so the aircraft doesnt want to push back when you start jacking it up.
2. Jack the plane under the main landing gear until the wheels are a couple inches off the ground
3. Place a 2X4 that spans all three longerons about a inch AFT of the main gear and place two jacks stands underneath.
4. Lower jack and hold your breath
5. Remove gear

No need to make this a complicated task. Its really easy to do and I had my gear off in less than an hour. Ill post pictures when I get to the airport next time, I didnt have my phone with me.

I just put saw horses under my wings with a blanket to prevent the paint from being damaged, also I chalk the tail wheel with wood.

Got a chance to stop by the airport to take a couple pictures. Not the best but you get the idea. I think the plane looks awesome if it would have retractable gear.

Also what is that center bolt used for on the landing gear to fuesalage for? You can see it in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20130602_154107_179.jpg
    IMG_20130602_154107_179.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20130602_154120_464.jpg
    IMG_20130602_154120_464.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20130602_154024_625.jpg
    IMG_20130602_154024_625.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 57
chopperman said:
Got a chance to stop by the airport to take a couple pictures. Not the best but you get the idea. I think the plane looks awesome if it would have retractable gear.

Also what is that center bolt used for on the landing gear to fuesalage for? You can see it in the picture.

I think it is an option to keep the gear from moving side to side if you land hard in a crosswind landing. The attach bolts are a friction hold between the plate under the gear and the fuselage. The center goes through the gear itself. I did not have it in the project I bought, but I have read here some pilots do not think it is necessary.
Please everyone correct me if I am wrong! ::)
-Pete

Pete....Yes, it is needed. I put a spring gear on an ultralight biplane I designed, and the first time I got sideways a bit the gear slid out from its centered position....Regardless of the clamping pressure on the reinforced lower longerons, sway bar straps are a must in my opinion!!!...ED

Back