• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is this Sonerai 1 repairable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has "Sonerai" history, too. And, Oshkosh, and Experimenter Magazine history. You could pick this one up, spend a weekend or 2 and come out way ahead of what you'll invest in that one. Your spirit is admirable, but, wow.

Hello everyone,
I have made an offer, and was turned down.
The current owner and I are very far apart on what we think the aircrafts value is.
With the help of a very experienced designer/ builder/ restorer of Sonerai's, other aircraft and EAA icon I hope to obtain the Sonerai I for a reasonable price.
Airskip2012, you have one fine bird, I am just really beholden to the I's, light and fast.
We can only offer what the aircraft is worth in it's present condition.
There will be a whole lot of work to do and many parts and a power plant to obtain, let alone having everything inspected again and have a new N# assigned.
I have a goal, and God willing it will be achieved!!!
Raceair, thanks for the encouragement and knowledge, I wouldn't be able to make these decisions without your help.
I'll let you all know more as this progresses.

Well there is a Sonerai 1 project for sale on barnstormers, prolly worth the money he's asking, it's close to me but I already have 2 sonerai 1 projects :eek:

Hello everyone,
Well it seems that I will not be the owner of a Sonerai I project this week.
The owners thoughts on the aircrafts worth is much different from what I and a very helpful Sonerai.net member believe that it is actually worth.
Racegunz, I have been looking at that Barnstormers ad since last week, I have come to terms that it might be my only option to achieve my goal of a Sonerai I any time soon.
Raceair, your assistance and insight have been priceless, it will be returned to you no matter what, blue and silver!
On to barnstormers and some emails.

Hello everyone,
I am going to make an offer on a airframe that is about 75% complete.
Although I would like the challenge of rebuilding a de-registered airframe just for the history alone, it will not happen.
I have been given guidance by a fellow member and will take his experienced advice.
Another thread will be started as soon as I purchase the airframe.
Thank you all for your thoughts about the Sonerai I rebuild.
It is a real shame that it will go to waste.

Hello everyone,
It's been along time since I've been on the forum.
I've had a few things happen in my life that changed my plans for the past few years.
A career change and a car accident were the big ones.

Last October (2022) the owner of the de-registered Sonerai 1 gave me the aircraft as he didn't want to store it any longer.
I placed an ad on craigslist and a guy gave me $500 for it.
He was going to make a tree fort out of it for his children.

On to the good stuff!!!

I found a really nice Sonerai 1 project just outside of Atlanta after Christmas.
Complete fuselage with an 1835cc power plant.
Minus a couple of instruments, seat, ceconite fabric covering and the cowl needs to be finished.
Clean welds on the fuselage along with disc brakes.
Nice, clean set of main wings along with what appears to be the beginnings or the modification of another set of main wings.
I was given all of the documentation the seller had along with a bunch of misc. parts
It is all in my 36' transport trailer to stay clean and dry.

I guess I'll need to start another thread and ad all of the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpeg
    IMG_0617.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Awesome! Looming forward to seeing your progress, and having a third sonerai in GA! There are two near KPXE that I know of.

Hi J Metcalfe,
I should have mentioned in the post that I made a 1k mile round trip to pick up the Sonerai 1.
Melbourne Shores, Florida 32951 is where I live
I live across the river from X59 Valkaria Airport.
This will be my home airport as soon as a hanger becomes available.

Hi J Metcalfe,
I should have mentioned in the post that I made a 1k mile round trip to pick up the Sonerai 1.
Be sure to check the prop flange runout! Monnett discontinued that extension. I was told by "G" at Monnett that I was the first person to have a problem and failure. When myself and a couple of other racers got to talking about it at Cleveland in 1979, we found that two or three of us had been "FIRST"! That was in Tim Gibson's N4X.

Lex

If youndo remove the supervee hub and bearing carrier parts, id like to buy them from you, they are a nice piece of vw history

Hi J Metcalfe,
I'm just about 100 miles away in Williston with my sonerai 2

Back