Quantcast

IO-470 Continental

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Erik Snyman

Hello Listers
I have a few options in engines for a BD4 that I am resurrecting, one of which is the IO-470 VO Continental that needs to be opened up, as there is rust in at least 2 of the cylinder barrels. The engine has been sitting for an undetermined period of time, and it needs a complete rebuild.
Now for the reason for this post: Does anyone know if the cylinder bolt pattern of the -470 engine is the same as those for a -550 Conti? Could the -550 cylinders be fitted on the -470 case? Since I have to re-do the engine anyway, I was wondering if such a conversion would be possible/feasible. It would be nice to have 300 hp on the BD4`s nose.
Merry Christmas to all,
Erik in Oz.

Bill-Higdon

Hello Listers
I have a few options in engines for a BD4 that I am resurrecting, one of which is the IO-470 VO Continental that needs to be opened up, as there is rust in at least 2 of the cylinder barrels. The engine has been sitting for an undetermined period of time, and it needs a complete rebuild.
Now for the reason for this post: Does anyone know if the cylinder bolt pattern of the -470 engine is the same as those for a -550 Conti? Could the -550 cylinders be fitted on the -470 case? Since I have to re-do the engine anyway, I was wondering if such a conversion would be possible/feasible. It would be nice to have 300 hp on the BD4`s nose.
Merry Christmas to all,
Erik in Oz.
I'm not sure about this engine but the airboat builders have been putting cylinders from the various 0-520s on the PE-150s which is derived from the O-470

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Many years ago, I know of a man that took the 470 off his C-182 and put on a 520 from a C-310 and switched the data plate from the 470 to the 520 engine.
Great performing 1959 C-182. I'll never tell who.

TFF

There have been STCs to make 470s into 520s. Doable. I don’t know if there is any case machine work to be done. 550 I think has a different crankshaft, but not sure. Probably same cylinders as 520.

Erik Snyman

There have been STCs to make 470s into 520s. Doable. I don’t know if there is any case machine work to be done. 550 I think has a different crankshaft, but not sure. Probably same cylinders as 520.
Since the engine and plane are both Experimental I don`t think I will need the STC. My own butt on the line and so forth and so on....Would be nice to see what the STC is about, though. I will see what Google says and maybe pick up some do`s and don`ts. Thanks for the reply, TFF.
Erik in Oz

TFF

You May not need the STC but because they sell it; it’s doable. How you scrounge your parts is up to you.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I think you are right. Small increase in stroke.

I have flown the 1959 C-182 with the 260 hp, 520 engine. Nice airplane. That was the last year of the straight tail and had lighter EW from latter models.