Instrument Panel Color ?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by ebonheart_2, Jan 25, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 2, 2006 #21

orion

orion

orion

There are several programs publicly viewable that list many areas and technologies that various government arms are interested in pursuing. One is the SBIR (Small Business Innovation and Research) program, another is NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), and others are published in various industry publications specifically aimed at the particular technologies or even specific arms of the government. Some of these are available through the SBA (Small Business Administration) and even some local Economic Development Councils.

There are also requests by specific organizations like DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) or the particular arms of the military.

Some of these can be accessed relatively easily through public channels, others require a bit more contact with the particular requesting organization. But to get any of these requirements, it does take a bit of digging and to get any of the contracts does invovle quite a bit of work in writing and assembling the proposals.

2. Mar 2, 2006 #22

ZENO

ZENO

ZENO

panel color

I'm not up to this point with my aircraft, but I'm very partial to wrinkle crinkle black and it's easy to get a good job out of a spray can. It looks so airplanish and will be on my panel. I did my Harley cylinders with it, very nice.

Wood panels are nice, too.

3. Mar 3, 2006 #23

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

Well there are lots of different things you can do to the paint, and lots of different paints you could use, but I was just wondeirng about visibility and glare/contrast. What might be the best colors to have in the cockpit.

I think I would prefer a smooth finish because it would be easyer to clean, but I guess that depends on how much of an orange peal your talking about. :)

4. Mar 12, 2006 #24

CAVMan

CAVMan

CAVMan

In reference to the military using flat black...

We use flat black due to its low glare properities; not necessarily to reduce glare for the pilot, but so that the glare will not attract the attention of unwanted parties.

5. Mar 13, 2006 #25

PatrickW

PatrickW

PatrickW

I'm leaning towards a varnished wood panel; or a white panel.

But I've got a ways to go...

- Patrick

6. Jul 30, 2006 #26

fasbob1

fasbob1

fasbob1

Inst. Pnl color

I think polished aluminum with a ruffed desigh to lower any relections is a good choice-it goes with most interior designs.

7. Jul 30, 2006 #27

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

Wouldnt that look kinda... un finished? I was originally wondering which panel colors could assist the pilot in seeing his instruments the most, not which looked the best at all. I'm talking functionality here, just paint it pink if you want it to be pritty, lol. :p:

8. Jul 30, 2006 #28

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

I really like this panel with a few mods and substitutions.

[​IMG]

Right now I am leaning towards a lighter colored interior.

:cool: CJ

9. Jul 30, 2006 #29

Lakeview Bill

Lakeview Bill

Lakeview Bill

RE: "Sorry, I meant to say 3.375", not 3.5"."

I believe you will find that the "standard" gauge sizes are 3.125" and 2.25".

A few 2" gauges are also available, along with some smaller sizes.

But the 3.125" and 2.25" are the standard sizes for production aircraft.

Note that this is the gauge face diameter. Typically, a 3.125" gauge will require a 3.25" "square" of panel and behind-panel space, while a 2.25" gauge will require a 2.375" "square". This is to accomodate the mounting screws and the "box" on the rear of the gauge.

Gauge depths vary quite a bit, depending upon the type of gauge.

Hope this is helpful...

10. Jul 31, 2006 #30

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

Hi Captain

Do you like that panel, or that panel color? What I've decided upon, based on this thread, would be a charcole like color for the instrument panel, or so, and a light gray to light cream color for the rest of the cockpit... assuming there is no carpet or anything like that, just sheet metal or steel tubing. :)

What are all those green lights in the center? I havnt gotten any G-1000 training yet but it looks all clusted up to me.. it's been difficult for me to find my engine instruments quickly on the display; it just takes gitting used to though I guess.

Bill

Yes, 3-1/8" and 2-1/4" seem to be 'standard'. I belive there are also some 1-1/4" instruments and a 1" vaccum gauge. :D and I guess gauge depth is from 7" to 2" or so?

11. Jul 31, 2006 #31

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

12. Jul 31, 2006 #32

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

James, I like both the color and the layout.

The color, although looks good, may not be the best choice for a serious panel. The darker panel offers better contrast, but with a glass cockpit all that may just not matter anymore.

The green lights are the audio panel indicators. The camera is looking straight on at them and they appear brighter than they really are.

I like the switches on the top for easy serviceablility in a tip up design and the GRT screens I would replace with the new AF3500's. The AF3500 integrates Loc & GS functionality in it's display! Also theCB would become fuses.

I am certainly going to install the TruTrack ADI auto pilot! I already have the servo mount in the wing!

I am aso going to use the AF3500's embedded AOA function, which I just got done doing the wing plumbing for last night! It displays the AOA info right on the EFIS!!! Pretty cool, huh?

:ban: CJ

13. Jul 31, 2006 #33

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

Hmmm, I dont know.. I bet a really bright panel (neon something) would probably still bug you.

Ahh, audio panel... "CB"? are you saying this panel has a CB radio in it? :D

I dont know very much about the glass displays... and I dont know what you'd use an AOA indicator for... but I know what an auto pilot is and I like that. :p:

Cool

14. Jul 31, 2006 #34

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

HA! :D

CB's = Circuit Breakers! I like fuses better.

The glass panel I am most endeared to at this time is the one from Advanced Flight Systems and includes and Angle of Attack display.

The AOA does ALOT! There are many reasons for installing one. Since many of us don't install any stall warning, this incorporates it into it as well. It tells us about the lift situation and helps us find Vg, Vs, Vso and Vld at the blink of an eye!

I am also including their EMS system to round out the package. It is really slick! It combines a bitchin' betty and verbally says "angle, angle, push, push" , "Flaps" and "AOA Pass" when it does it's system check.

They have integrated an CDI/LOC in the primary flight display as well!

I am thrilled!!! I can't wait to see what comes out next!

:ban: CJ

15. Jul 31, 2006 #35

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

Oh, circuit breakers... I should have known.

Yah, the AF3500 looks pritty nice! It's only $5000 or so?? I'll haved to look into these 'AOA indicators' more... I've never used one.

I'm sure they can manage to add more.. but how much more $ are they going to add to it as well?

So what panel color do you think would be good for a glass display (assuming it still matters)? Black or a charcoal color still? You'd still want to be able to easily see your back up instruments too.. although their usually off to the side or bottom in glass displays so they wouldnt really be where you need them anyway. :)

16. Nov 7, 2008 #36

Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

From memory, the crazy light blue colour that the russians use is because it reduces pilot fatigue. Thats from memory and so could be wrong. The fact that all russian planes have the almost aqua coloured cockpits in not only military but also civilian aircraft would suggest that there is certainly a reason for it. But I have to say that I'm about 90% sure that it was to do with fatigue.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008