Instrument hunting adventures.

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by StRaNgEdAyS, Apr 8, 2004.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 8, 2004 #1

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

I have begun to price instruments, and so far I have not had any major surprises (except for my sister wanting me to buy one of her flutes :ermm: ). I have seen a whole lot that would be really nice to have, I'd love to have a set of stratomaster smart singles, but I think in the end, I'll be more comfortable with a set of analogue instuments. (and a bit richer too :gig:)
    One thing I have had is some difficulty locating an ASI. I have found plenty that go up to anywhere from 80-260 (I think) Kts, but ask for one that goes up to 450Kts..... I swear sometimes I could count to ten before I hear a curious voice say..."pardon????:"
    hmmmm I didn't think that it would be such a strange request....:confused:
    I have a feeling that this one instrument is going to cost me a pretty penny.

2. Apr 8, 2004 #2

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

Ahh It would seem I haven't been asking the right people.
    I eventually found a place, pretty close by, though their advertised stock only goes as far as the 260Kts range, but it they say they can do it. :D
    I'll find out for sure tomorrow. :ermm:

3. Apr 8, 2004 #3

Marilyn

Marilyn

Marilyn

You're building a Jet

Don't forget to look at airliner surplus. It wil have the speed range you are looking for.

4. Apr 8, 2004 #4

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

Yes, that is also an idea I have considered, that and checking out 2nd hand instruments. Is there any benefit to be had in purchase of 2nd hand instuments? I guess they will need to be serviced before I will want to use them, but would I be saving any significant amount of money? (I DID see an ex RAAF macchi jet trainer ASI for sale for $36)

5. Apr 9, 2004 #5

Dust

Dust

Dust

YES

enjoy the build

dust

6. Apr 9, 2004 #6

Marilyn

Marilyn

Marilyn

Well, I don't know if there is an equvilent of the "yellow tag" in your country. That's what panel fillers that are cerified as airworthy by a properly equipped shop are called in the U.S. "Return to service" I think the actual yellow cardboard tag says at the top.
    So, if you can find these or your equivlent, you can probably get a perfectly good guage for considerably less than a new instrument.

7. Apr 9, 2004 #7

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

Excellent.
    I'm looking forward to the Woodford Driftn-in fly in in May.
    I'ts nice and close, only an 1hrs drive. (That's just next door in AU terms)
    I'm hoping to get to have a good talk with some other builders and maybe spot some good parts bargains.

8. Apr 9, 2004 #8

Dust

Dust

Dust

The dealer i use for used items is wentworth aircraft and they have an electronics shop on the same airport that they are on and they will yellow tag most instruments for 75.00US.

enjoy the build

dust

9. Jan 11, 2005 #9

cnielsen

cnielsen

cnielsen

You are wrong

the digital instruments are unbelievable, lightweight and packed with great features and a far better value than analog. Stratomaster or AVEO, look at www.aveoUSA.com and really read what is there, they work great.