• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I think I'm changing my tune on the Sonex.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickathome

As some of you may know, I recently posted some messages relating to the Sonex aircraft and how I thought it was fairly ugly. Well, the more and more I delve into the idea of building my own plane, the more and more I am starting to see past my original misgivings about the Sonex. Looking over the full set of criteria I have set for myself, I am starting to realize the Sonex may just be the perfect airplane for me. Granted money is a big factor for me, and right there the Sonex seems to have an overall completed cost which falls into my abilities. I need to be realisitc in that I am just not going to be able to afford a completed cost of over $40K for an airplane, probably not even $30K for that matter.

One aspect of the Sonex that I really like, is the ability for wing removal. The Sonex boasts 20 minute wing removal which would facilitate trailering, the RV-4 (which I really like) does not. This is a plus right there as I don't relish another mortgage payment just in storing an aircraft. Another point that was made on the Sonex site that I really like is the fact that they mention Harbor Freight tools by name for some of the needed items like pulled rivet gun, etc. Hey I'm all for the best tools in the world just like the next guy, but reality dictates where I shop and for alot of tools, Harbor Freight gets the nod. For a company like Sonex to mention HF by name speaks volumes to the little guy like me who isn't rich by any stretch of the imagination. It says to me that yes "this can be done", and doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I must say that my original opinions of the Sonex are really starting to transform into "maybe this really is the right plane for me". I'm still not crazy about the canopy design and I still don't like the Egyption Pyramid styled instrument panel, but again things are starting to change for on me. Unless some Xanadu of an aircraft jumps from behind the woodwork, I may just become the next Sonex builder.

Just for the record, I imply no ill talk, or insult of the Sonex to any builders/owners, and if I offended anyone with my earlier posts, I apologize now wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
Back