How do I get my EG33 to run on a air frame?

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by jake2465, Sep 1, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 1, 2017 #21

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

2. Sep 1, 2017 #22

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Al Wick removed his EJ25 long ago and worked on installing an turbo EZ30 but the project has stalled out over the last few years. Al was a big advocate of the stock ECU but was switching over to a VIPEC for the EZ for unknown reasons.

Keith flew with the OEM ECU for many years but had multiple issues with that, wiring and torsional vibration problems causing the cam belt to skip teeth on shutdown. He switched to SDS a few years back and got the engine running fine. Lately he had a cylinder issue with the EG33 and is now installing a Lyc 360. He's had enough experimenting.

I have another 8 or so clients running SDS on their EG33s successfully, some for many years.

Notably there are several Eggenfellner fours and sixes running the OEM ECU with many hundreds of hours, some with no problems at all, others with some glitches. Some of these early engines have now been switched to SDS. We supplied many hundreds of ECUs for later Egg conversions and private Subaru converters. Jon Findlay and another have hundreds of hours on their EJ25s with the factory ECU. You can find these guys on FlySoob.