• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hello All, I'm thrilled to be here!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radnine

Hi all,
I am thrilled to be here.
I am a high school teacher in Canada (Ancaster, Ontario) and a long time aviation enthusiast.
I was introduced to the world of restoration when at 16 years of age, I pedalled my bike past what turned out to be an old fire hall at my local airport (Hamilton, Ontario. YHM) and saw a Stearman fuselage on its gear (and not much else). I said to the gentleman there "Hey, isn't that a Stearman?" and he said "Yes, would you like to work on it?" And the rest is history.
That gentleman was Donald J. Currie, who along with his wife Bernie, collected aircraft. Don had a group of volunteers that helped him to work on and fly the aircraft and I became one of them. Don payed me (an as far as I know, only me) in flight time. That is to say, that dual instruction at the time was $50.00/hour and that's what I got paid, an hour of dual a week.
Fast forward to 2009; I have written and taught a high school shop course that uses aviation as its focus, and am fortunate enough to mix business with pleasure as I use aviation as a means to try to keep kids engaged while at high school.
I have lurked on this site once or twice in the past and am really excited to have joined. Thanks in advance for your patience and expertise.
Regards,
Jim

Back