• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

fuselage welding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to think there is some sort of society of welding gas bottle collectors that know all about the proof test stamps and history/interesting anecdotes of the inspectors.

"Ah... yes. That one is a '17 by H. Hildegard... very rare... highly collectable. Apparently young Hildegard lasted only three days on the job. Closed casket funeral... (old man whisper) parts missing, you see. Very sad. Could you possibly part with it? I happen to have a bit set aside and ear-marked for a Hildy should one turn up."

OK Bill.

You talked me into it. I pulled the trigger on a O/A setup. Smaller size tanks, size Q oxygen bottle with size WQ acetylene bottle, cart, hoses, and Victor regulators and Victor SKH-7A Brazing Welding Torch Handle W/ SKW0 & SKW2 Tips J28 J27 J Series. I'm going to rebuild the old Victor regulators and maybe replace the dial indicators, but even then, I'll be into this for under $500. Oh yeah, I had to spring for a used Linde acetylene tank wrench. Need to find a pair of flame arresters to put on the lines but all in all, I'd say I have what I need to make progress.

OK Bill.

You talked me into it. I pulled the trigger on a O/A setup. Smaller size tanks, size Q oxygen bottle with size WQ acetylene bottle, cart, hoses, and Victor regulators and Victor SKH-7A Brazing Welding Torch Handle W/ SKW0 & SKW2 Tips J28 J27 J Series. I'm going to rebuild the old Victor regulators and maybe replace the dial indicators, but even then, I'll be into this for under $500. Oh yeah, I had to spring for a used Linde acetylene tank wrench. Need to find a pair of flame arresters to put on the lines but all in all, I'd say I have what I need to make progress.
The MECO Tiny Torch was a game changer for me: https://www.tinmantech.com/products/welding/meco-torch-accessories/

Believe it or not, there was a MECO Tiny torch advertised on Ebay, new with hoses for $450. I was going to order that as soon as I got home from picking up the tanks, hoses, regulator and cart, but someone had already snagged it. I'll be keeping my eye out for one all the same. Looks like a much lighter tool for the job.

4130 is fool proof,not damnfool proof,but it is tough and forgiving ,does not "air temper" and get glass hard
and as pointed out countless miles and miles of it were welded by farm boys,competent but disinterested
in anything much to do with welding
Just was reading some 1920-1930s US Army manual that talked about this exact practicality. That 4130 was able to weld very successfully by everyone with very rudimentary tools and skills. Exactly why it is so popular today, I suspect.

My shameful confession. I taught plumbing at a technical college for 11 years. O/A welding was part of the course and I knew all of the theory including safe practice. Could weld nicely sometimes but more often had 'the shakes'. The more I concentrate, usually, the worse the shakes. Sometimes when welding I have to hand over to someone less knowledgeable than I just to get it completed. Not sure anything can be done but just saying not every person is cut out to weld.

My shameful confession. I taught plumbing at a technical college for 11 years. O/A welding was part of the course and I knew all of the theory including safe practice. Could weld nicely sometimes but more often had 'the shakes'. The more I concentrate, usually, the worse the shakes. Sometimes when welding I have to hand over to someone less knowledgeable than I just to get it completed. Not sure anything can be done but just saying not every person is cut out to weld.
especially if you have "essential tremor". Then the harder you try to stabilize fine motor actions the more divergent the movements become.

I hope yall know you got me trolling for an airliner torch now. I need another torch like a hole in my head. Lol.

especially if you have "essential tremor". Then the harder you try to stabilize fine motor actions the more divergent the movements become.
In my 80's and now I have to really be in a relaxed position to not shake. My buddy is about the same age and he still has no problems.

Just was reading some 1920-1930s US Army manual that talked about this exact practicality. That 4130 was able to weld very successfully by everyone with very rudimentary tools and skills.
I'm kinda banking on that ... 😁

Some of the best professional welders I’ve ever met (industrial line workers who weld 50 + hours a week for decades) were functioning alcoholics and had severe shakes while working. Some actually used it to their advantage, and while I don’t recommend it, they had developed a crutch reliance on their tremor to do their job. I personally develop a muscle fatigue tremor after a while when tig welding and have learned to always use a “stead rest”, something/anything to rest my hand on to use the torch like a pencil writing on paper, or atleast a rest for my wrist/lower forearm. It really works wonders to steady out shakes.

When welding repairing a coal fired power plant boiler that was running I learned to get in rhythm with the shaking. It helped.

You are correct about he functioning alcoholics. Always use a stead rest if you can. I used to be very steady free handed in any position . Also welding right or left handed. I often switched hands when one got tired or hot.

Back