• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Full flying vertical stabilizer vs. conventional. CL max, control authority.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelNorcia

Greetings!

I am working on designing an electric ultralight. The plane will be quite light (or so is the plan); something similar to a blend of the archeopteryx ultralight sailplane (similar wing) and MIT's Daedalus (very similar fuselage layout). In conjunction and accordance with my first mission, I have a secondary goal of reducing parts count. For this reason, I am, at least for now, designing the plane to be flown 2-Axis, rudder + elevator (throttle as well of course).

Perhaps you could help me weigh the pros and cons of the 2-axis set up and answer a few aerodynamic questions?

An obvious concern with 2-axis control that I see is a lack of rudder and/or roll authority. Obviously, I could make the rudder large (as I plan on doing at ~10% of wing area with a sizeable boom) in order to have on-demand rudder response. I plan on implementing a full flying horizontal stabilizer, much like that featured in the Daedalus. I could do a similar full flying vertical stabilizer.

Which brings me to my first question: How does the CL max for a full flying surface (without trim tabs) compare to the CL max of an aggressively hinged surface (hinge line at, say 35% chord, big rudder) given the same symmetrical airfoil? Such a large flap seems well beyond X-foils capabilities, which ground my experimentation to a halt

Second question: rudder authority seems easy enough to tame. Roll authority, more difficult. What are some important things to consider when designing for roll authority? Clearly dihedral will provide some yaw-roll coupling. Beyond this, I would imagine inertia about the roll axis would be good to minimize. There are two main sources of inertia about the roll axis for my plane: the wing tip sections, and the under slung fuselage that houses much of the gross weight (the pilot). Coming from an RC sailplane background, I know light tips provide an excellent means of reading the air. In the full scale realm, are light tips advisable? I would imagine they could make for a sloshing sort of ride? What effect then will the under slung fuselage have? Unlike the wingtips, which may have a more significant effect on the moment of inertia, the fuselage will provide a strong returning force to zero roll. The restoring force will act strongly in opposition of any roll set up by the rudder at high bank angles, sort of like a twisted form of effective dihedral.

If you have any advice on any of the above, please speak up! It seems as though every time I start feeling like I have a part of the design fully understood, I come to learn of some critical new piece of wisdom. There are rather few 2-axis ultralights to compare to, and none anything like what I wish to build. One of my closest comparisons are the large (3m+ span) 2-axis (RES) RC sailplanes that are quite popular.

-Michael

Back