• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Forming curved aluminum panels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N404CX

Los Angeles, CA (Oak Park, Ventura County)
The plane I'm building has three curved panels. Two pieces of .032 less than two feet long are on the top of the forward fuselage. Another piece of .020 about eight feet long forms the top of the aft fuselage.

The builders' photos I've seen all show pulling the panels into position with straps and then riveting or fastening.

I'm wondering if there is any way to introduce some curvature to the metal short of using a slip roller.

If the metal is constrained in a curved shape will it ever accept that curvature, or will it always spring back into the original flat form?

Thanks, -Glen.

Back