• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flying with your dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion

R.I.P.
My wife and I recently pruchased an airpalne large enough so that we can finally go camping and think about taking our two dogs with us. One is a 65 pound Lab/Husky mix; the other (the Monster) is about a hundred pound Rottweiler/Retreiver mix.

The question I have is, of those of you who take your dogs with you when you go up, do you take any precautions for the pets? Specifically I'm interested in how you secure your pets and also if you do anything to protect their hearing. Our plane (a Cherokee Pathfinder) has a O-540 and as such, is rather noisy inside. I've flown it without my headset a few times and while you can get used to it, after a while your ears do ring for a bit when you get down. With the dogs' sensitive hearing, I'm just curious if there's anything that can be done (or needs to be done) to protect them.

As far as where to put them, I was going to put them in the aft seats and secure them to the seat belts by using a body harness. In this way they can still sit up or move about a little bit but in heavy turbulence they should be secure enough to keep from bouncing about the cabin. If I block off the area in front of the aft seats with a stiff foam, at seat level, then there is sufficient room for both of them. If I have to though, I can remove the seats and have the entire space back there available (less the camping gear of course).

Any thoughts?

Back