Quantcast

Flying Flea HM293 English plans now also online.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

nestofdragons

Another reason to be proud. Had permission to place these bundle plans on my website too. They are free to download, but ...not freeware !! Respect the rules!

This time it is the HM293. A plan by Rodolphe Grunberg. Translated by Paul Pontois. The HM293 was inspired by the HM290 of Henri Mignet.

PLANS02.jpgPont2005_074.jpgFF02.jpgFF11.jpgFF13.jpg

English Mignet plans for free - Nest of Dragons
Please, place only links to this page, not directly to the PDF.

Enjoy.

Koen Van de Kerckhove (Koen is first name, pronounced as racoon without ra)

skier

Thanks. I've been checking back daily for the past week wondering when we were going to get to see those. I can't wait to download them tonight.

rbrochey

The 293 is definitely one of my favorites and I downloaded these plans from the pou site quite awhile ago, but I have never been able to find any performance numbers, rate of climb, never exceed speeds etc. Do you have those?

nestofdragons

The 293 is definitely one of my favorites and I downloaded these plans from the pou site quite awhile ago, but I have never been able to find any performance numbers, rate of climb, never exceed speeds etc. Do you have those?
Found a list with looooots of data. You might find it there. Just click on the computer screen to download it. The list is in French and Dutch, if needed i will translate. VNE is still VNE. ;)

Beragoobruce

Hi Koen

Thank you very much for making available the Flea plans. I love your website!

I have been fascinated by the Pou for many years, and I am happy you have dispelled the myths regarding stability (or lack of it!), etc.

But I am still unclear regarding the aerodynamics of the Flea family in a turn. In a 'pure' Flea, without the split flaps on the rear wing, how does the turn take place? Is it simply initiated by the rudder, and the bank is induced by the yaw?

Related to this question, is it possible to 'crab' along a runway in a crosswind? Presumably it is not possible to hold the into wind wing low, as with ailerons. Also, can a Flea be sideslipped, or do you just rely on the 'parachutal' descent if you need to lose height quickly?

Lastly, did the Saintonage 2 seat Pou ever get built?

Many thanks once again

Bruce

nestofdragons

Related to this question, is it possible to 'crab' along a runway in a crosswind? Presumably it is not possible to hold the into wind wing low, as with ailerons. Also, can a Flea be sideslipped, or do you just rely on the 'parachutal' descent if you need to lose height quickly?

Lastly, did the Saintonage 2 seat Pou ever get built?

Many thanks once again

Bruce
Bruce, the turn of a Flying Flea is something of five things happening at once. Hard to explain in short, but i know there was a Pou Renew that covered that story. I hope to place it online soon.
About crabbing. I made a video about Flying Flea and crosswinds.
[video=youtube;R-bXa6tkNvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-bXa6tkNvQ&index=11&list=PLA0AEBF3CE4B0310C[/video]
Pierre Mignet sadly passed away before he could end the Saintonge. :depressed

Last edited by a moderator:

skier

I have to admit, all these posts about the Flea are making me want to start building one. It's the first wooden design that has my attention. Additionally, there's something cool about each version from the HM-14 up to the HM-380. How to choose?

Are there any estimates for the relative build-time of each design (ie, do any of them take significantly longer to build than the others)? Does anyone know the dimensions of each version with the wings folded (width & height)?

nestofdragons

I have to admit, all these posts about the Flea are making me want to start building one. It's the first wooden design that has my attention. Additionally, there's something cool about each version from the HM-14 up to the HM-380. How to choose?

Are there any estimates for the relative build-time of each design (ie, do any of them take significantly longer to build than the others)? Does anyone know the dimensions of each version with the wings folded (width & height)?
The dimensions of the folded editions will vary. Reason will be the used landing gear and the used wingplatform. Each builder has his own choice. If you want to know how wide the HM293 and the HM360 or HM380 will be, just go see the free plans on my website. The info is there. How high it all become, cannot help you yet on that one. I might give you soon the info about the HM293 on trigear (because i will get mine soon), but ...if you use classic gear you will get other numbers.

How to choose your Mignet design? Well, i expected that question and i made a page about that. How to begin - Nest of Dragons. I hope it is of any help.

Thunderchook

Can anyone advise on appropriate models for pilot size?
I am 6'2" (approx. 185cm) and weigh approx. 95kg.

Many pics suggest that in the 293 you're shoehorned in, with your arms and shoulders hanging over the side of the bathtub!

Would an HM360 be better for larger pilots especially if one wanted to enclose the cockpit?

Thunderchook

I'm not as interested in the HM14 design.
I am more interested in the HM293 or HM360 design.
Which would you recommend for a 95kg 185cm pilot?

Thanks.

Thunderchook.

rbrochey

That's good advice.
Many thanks, rbrochy!
You're quite welcome! The Rodolfe Grunberg plans have a supplement page to extend the fuselage slightly for taller pilots as well, as well as landing gear options. Lots of great information on Nest of Dragons! I'm building mine on a 4 ft X 10 ft 3/4 in ply...