• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First vacuum bagging attempt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene

Supporting Member
First attempt = first result, and first question.

Overall, I think this was a success story and I will use final part because it's really nonstructural and no risk really. However, I would like to understand the phenomenon that occurred in the process. I will include some pictures.

Seems like vacuum was able to suck all liquid resin out of fabric and bleed through perforated film. I believe first layer of primer will take care of all small pinhole's. But I was expecting to see perfectly shiny surface. Just like I was getting perfectly shiny surface when I build my molds without using the vacuum at all.

Nobody seems to be able to explain this to me. Or I am not smart enough to understand what they're trying to explain. I used slow curing hardner. Left vacuum for about seven hours. Used three layers of 8 ounce fabric. Hopefully you can see results on the pictures.

IMG_2854.jpegIMG_2852.jpegIMG_2862.jpegIMG_2860.jpegIMG_2855.jpeg

Back