• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fairing external antennas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Supporting Member
So my understanding of radios waves and turning those into wounds heard through speakers is far to the meager side, and have read just enough about this to be confused.
Plane-Viking Dragonfly, foam and FG construction with carbon fiber used in the wing and canard par caps and around the canopy frame. If I have enough left the cowling may be CF as well. Otherwise, all foam and glass.

Goal- to use existing ABS plastic and molded FG housings to clean up the antennas poking from the top and bottom of my plane. Currently I have GPS pucks for my ADBS-IN, TalosAeolus, Talos Flysense Pro, and the WAAS GPS antenna for the ADSB-Out. Yes, that is 4 GPS pucks, but they apparently cannot share.
VHF antennas each for the Com 1 and Com 2 radios

What I have done/am doing-
Already have the per plans VOR antenna behind the seats in the belly of the Dragonfly
Adding an internal Dipole antenna thanks to Dave Morris- Morris DF Loop Antenna
Adding a VHF stubby antenna with a FG fairing over it.

For the GPS antennas I initially thought to mount them on the outside of the turtledeck using some ABS plastic or molded FG "Sharkfin" covers over them to try and clean it up. My concern here is if the ABS plastic or FG would degrade the GPS signal in any meaningful way. Now I am wondering if the composite structure is not a factor that means they could be mounted on a shelf behind the seats or even forward in the underhatch area.

Thoughts?
Input?

I really want to get this sorted before the interior panels and wire runs are finalized to help keep the installation neater.

Back