• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Estimating composite weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I have worked out that the foam (110kg/sq m density) I plan to use for the strongbacks will weigh 5.05kg. I was quite surprised. I could use 80kg/sq m foam (and might well do) and get away with 4.48kg. I've also calculated the weight of the foam for the fuselage sandwich as 4.5kg.

So we're not talking a lot of weight here. Wes Whitehurst produced a great set of videos and other graphic commentary on the construction of his Monarch Butterfly glider, and he ended up with complete wing spars weighing only 76oz (4.75lbs). I plan on following his technique quite closely so I'm expecting similar results. But he does mention one thing which I need to ask asbout..

He says that for the spar, he used 18.4oz cloth, 22.3oz carbon rods and 35.2oz resin followed by this" "...which means we had too much resin content".

Question:

Anyone know the ideal resin content for vacuum bagged layups? I mean, knowing the foam size and weight is only half the battle. I need to calcullate the final weight of these parts by adding the final layup as well.

Regards,
Duncan

Back