• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine Mounts - Routine inspection for cracks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phzabriskie

Supporting Member
As long as there are a lot of posts about engines this week I will throw in one my Tech Counsellor Chuck brought up. Keep an eye on the engine mounts, he said, and inspect them regularly. I did not turn up squawks on my welds here, but Chuck said I might want to weld in a gusset. Do any of the Sonerai Flying community have any input on this subject? ???
-Pete

No cracks on mine. I have not heard of this being a problem area on the S2 (or S1).

-Scott

24 years and 1235 hours, and no cracks. My problem is that I painted the front half of my fuselage structure black. Don't ever do that. Paint it a light color, so that something does crack, it'll be immediately visible.

Back in the early '80's, there was a recommendation to install gusset plates on the top engine mounts from the bushing down to the top cross member and back to the diagonal. I have them on mine.

1200+ Hrs on mine, of wich 800 Hrs on a 1835 VW, remaining on a 2180 VW.
Fuselage O/A welded. No cracks anywhere. Fuselage painted in bright white.

Regards,
Frans.

Soneraifred said:
24 years and 1235 hours, and no cracks. My problem is that I painted the front half of my fuselage structure black. Don't ever do that. Paint it a light color, so that something does crack, it'll be immediately visible.

Back in the early '80's, there was a recommendation to install gusset plates on the top engine mounts from the bushing down to the top cross member and back to the diagonal. I have them on mine.
Thanks Fred, if you haven't met Chuck his "Mouser" dates back to those days so I am sure that recommendation is what he remembers too. As I am copying a lot of what you do Fred, I may put in these gussets. There is not a lot of weight penalty and the old saw "better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have one," rings true. As the Repairman Certificate will want me to have done a *Major Portion* of the building, doing as much of this welding work as I can now will help. Welding work...(which is now turning into a lot ~on top of putting a 2' butt end spliced "patch" in the top left longeron, he built his vertical stab main post in two pieces (!?$)~ it will get new with 3" higher) ;)
-Pete

Thanks Fred, once I reduced the contrast on the pix so the dark shadows showed up I can see clearly what you did. Looks like a good mod with little penalty. I will include it. Always curious....how is your fuel shutoff secured? It is not the plans design. Have a great OSH. Cross your fingers I may win a sweepstakes prize. ;D
-Pete

Attachments

• normal_Complete_Engine_Install,_7-07_012.jpg
    normal_Complete_Engine_Install,_7-07_012.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 93
  • normal_Complete_Engine_Install,_7-07_013.jpg
    normal_Complete_Engine_Install,_7-07_013.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 86
Hi Pete:
The valve is a 1/4-turn Imperial-Eastman ball valve that I bought from Wag-Aero. It is has a mounting nut under the handle, and simply mounted to a tab with a hole in it, that is welded to the diagonal down-tube. The original handle was replaced with one that moved the 90 degrees of travel about 45 degrees ccw so that it was easier to hook up the push-pull cable.

I have the same valve as Fred. Mounted in a similar manner as Fred's. Actually, I robbed the idea from Fred. It works great. On mine...it can be accessed from the front or rear seat.

Ivan

Back