• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dr Snyder + Arup a/c

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culleningus

A particular flying wing design being part of a succesion initiated here with the Westland Hill Pteradactyl developed in the UK during the war had a defect (in English) ;a quirk (in French). The elevator when in ground effect (close to the ground) started acting like a flap. If down elevator was applied the a/c would bodily balloon/rise up. I'm looking now (in contrast) at the very low aspect ratio Arup wings of the 30's in the US. I'm not sure these a/c were hampered by this defect. But I note the final variant, the S4, evolved from the earlier S2 with no tailplane (& I dont have details of an S3) is distinguished from the former by the fact that it has a tailplane/elevator. How did the elevator on the S4 work given that the impression I get is that at high AoA where these types come into their own the tail would 'appear' at least to be uncomfortably close to, or be blanketed by, the wing?

link to low aspect wings with a picture of the S4:

http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/n_o_d/weird_04.htm

Last edited:
Back