• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dissimilar aluminums for ease of manufacture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLrocket89

Hi everyone,

Quick question. Aluminum airplanes are typically made from 2024-T3 sheet aluminum...it's one of the stronger aluminums. 6061-T6 is the other common (in the USA) alloy, which is down on strength some compared to 2024.

I've read about some scratch built airplanes using 6061 because it's easier to form. My question is, could you make the ribs of a wing out of 6061, and then the spar and skins from 2024? A few comments/questions:

1) If I recall, the modulus of 6061 is close to 2024, so assuming the wing ribs aren't loaded heavily, you could use 6061 of the same thickness and that'd be OK. ???

2) How heavily loaded are wing ribs typically?

3) Would there be a problem riveting 6061 to 2024, given the difference in hardness? I'd expect it could be worked around given a bit of thought, just a guess.

4) I won't be able to look up MIL-STD-889 till I get to work tomorrow, but is there a galvanic corrosion issue between 2xxx aluminum and 6xxx? I'd prime them, just wondering if that's an issue.

Any other comments? Seems to me that, provided the wing rib stresses are low enough, 6061 *could* be a drop in for 2024, in wing ribs only, to facilitate in manufacture.

Back