cozy rotary engine mount for vision

Discussion in 'Mazda Rotary' started by slociviccoupe, Jun 5, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 5, 2011 #1

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

2. Jun 6, 2011 #2

NickH

NickH

NickH

The mount points are in different places.

The Cozy Firewall is a different shape, it's narrower and taller. Any idea what the thrust line is?

The plate type mounts are expensive and VERY heavy. The beam-type mounts are lighter, and this is critical for a Vision if you want to be close to the 300lb limit.

The landing gear is attached to the engine mount in the Vision.

3. Jun 6, 2011 #3

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

hmm. plate type just seemed simple to me and incorporates the plate for the prsu that way the engine isn't just mounted by the pan bolts. Beam type mount? can you explain? Ill probably be using a 12a front cover with a side or bottom mount alternator. also ill be tricycle gear so i suppose the nose wheel would be incorporated into the mount. most likely going to use cessna 172 or a piper steerable nose wheel. and as for the mount couldn't i build my firewall mount points to suit the cozy mount? im working on getting the mount dimensions for the cozy and comparing them to my vision mount points.

if not using a bed mount style mount, which is what is used for the corvair that is reccomended for this plan what type of mount should be utilized for a rotary. i could extend the mount to the plate that mounts the redrive atatch it there and then mount the engine with the 4 bolt locations on the 12a front cover.

with the aluminum side and mid plates the assembled 13b longblock weighs 108 lbs without intake manifold, header, turbo, or water pump.

4. Jun 6, 2011 #4

NickH

NickH

NickH

5. Jun 7, 2011 #5

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

man that sucks about the cessna nose wheel. like it because its on a certified aircraft and is already tried and true. maybe have to work with its design and make something lighter but function the same.
    will check out the beam type mount.

6. Jun 7, 2011 #6

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

checked out the link. definately way nicer and cheaper way of mounting the engine. Will most likely use the prsu mounting plate with the added machined mounts up front. And a billet aluminum motor mount meant for rotary engine swaps in cars.
    Mazda Rx3 72-77 13B CNC Billet Aluminum Engine mount Parts - DragTimes.com

this will bolt directly to my front cover and provide the rear mounting locations.

anyone know where or who did the machined lightened prsu mounting plate in the link (suggestions for building a rotary engine motor mount)