Quantcast

Clipped wing Super Chief...has it been done before?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cook11

Seeing that Cubs, T-crafts, Luscombes and Monocoupes were clipped did anyone ever clip a Chief before? Also are there aluminum spares and ribs available for the Chiefs?

TFF

You can buy aluminum spars like modern Champ-Citabria for the AD. I bet the ribs are available from them too. Clipped Monocoupes came from the factory and some were modified from long wings using that info because it was already certified. Clipped Cubs, and T-Crafts were done under STCs, so paperwork was easy. Dont know about the Luscomes and I dont know if Aeroncas were clipped but it seems funny that no Citabrias, Scouts, or Decathlons are if a STC was available as it would be a popular mod. Its not really if you can, as much as how are you going to pass the paperwork off. In the US if no shady paperwork is passed of it could only be done as Experimental Exhibition not Experimental Amateur Built.

cook11

I would assume you'd have a fairly lively machine if the wings were clipped and a 0-320 was up front!!! Hmmm......

TFF

The biggest thing against it besides paperwork is you can get early Citabrias for 25-35K even with the metal wings ready to fly.

cook11

You can get Chiefs for a very reasonable price...and make it a fun "project" perhaps name it a Super Chop or Super Clip:)...I have seen quite a few chiefs rotting due to the wings.....so if there was a way to resurrect the bird like a Swick T only a Aeronca version.... Through some sticks in and slap on a grove landing gear with RV wheel pants power it with a 0-290 to 0-360 and voila something entirely different....

Turd Ferguson

You can get Chiefs for a very reasonable price...and make it a fun "project" perhaps name it a Super Chop or Super Clip:)...I have seen quite a few chiefs rotting due to the wings.....so if there was a way to resurrect the bird like a Swick T only a Aeronca version.... Through some sticks in and slap on a grove landing gear with RV wheel pants power it with a 0-290 to 0-360 and voila something entirely different....
What is a reasonable price?

If you're going to do all that, might as well build a homebuilt.

TFF

It cant be a homebuilt though so it will cost more than you think. T-Craft wings are the best airfoil and a Chief is not very wide.

cook11

Reasonable price = free "get it the f out of here to $5,000"

And why not? Someone could have another oh wow its a 150-172?
Why not have something you can say yeah I did the unexpected....

Please forgive me I'd still like a tailwind or a T-18 but I saw a perfectly ok super Chief today that required new wings and thought what if...........

TFF

Im too practical to say I want to be special. I want an airplane to fly. I want a Tailwind because they are good cross country airplanes, and you can build one far cheaper than messing with a Frankenstein. A $3000 junk Chief, $5000 for Champion aluminum spars if reusing the ribs, engineering on where to cut the spars, $5000 runout 0-320, $2000 for Grove gear, $4000 for covering, and because it is based on a certified airplane enough money to grease the palm of a DAR does not sound like a fun project. If you dont own a 150/172, its kind of stupid to snob out when you are a pedestrian. The only plane I own has one seat two wings and is in 5 major pieces, a 172 would sure be handy.

cook11

Or a tailwind!!!!when it boils down to it to it a Taileind fits the bill.......

Mcmark

I seem to remember seeing an STC for a clipped champ and the wing is the same. Owned and flew a Swick-T with a 150. Great airplane. Saw a clip T-cart project on barnstormers for $2500.
Good luck
Mark

Turd Ferguson

Reasonable price = free "get it the f out of here to $5,000"

And why not? Someone could have another oh wow its a 150-172?
Why not have something you can say yeah I did the unexpected....

Please forgive me I'd still like a tailwind or a T-18 but I saw a perfectly ok super Chief today that required new wings and thought what if...........
The purpose of clipping wings on T-craft and Cubs was to make them into suitable aerobatic mounts because in those days there weren't many options. Not so today. A clipped wing Chief? Not likely to impress anyone anymore than a 150-172 does. And there isn't enough room for control sticks unless you make it a single seat with the seat in the middle. You'll have $30k and 3000 man hrs into a plane that's worth what? $12,500?

You can build a W-10 Tailwind in less time and for less money. Truly a lesson in efficiencies there.

The Chief will probably die away into oblivion. Not many people have the skills to restore them and it's not financially practical to pay someone to do it.