• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cheap and Light Hat Stringer Cores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt Johnsen

We use EPE/EPP foam pipe insulation tubing as lightweight cores for stringers and deck beams. The tubing comes in various sizes pre-sliced. I cut it in half with a sharp carving knife, tack it in place with hot glue and glass over it to form a hat section composite stiffener. It works great on our boats which are single skin monocoque, quite light and handle large surf. I would think it might have some application for panel stiffening in aircraft as well.
Someone will now tell me they figured it out 20 years ago- and no, the resin does not bond to it.

Also, EPP and EPE foams, while flexible, are very tough and about as light as styrofoam. Has anyone tried it as rib cores for full size aircraft? It's become common as dirt in RC RTF models

Back