• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Change in pitch with flaps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
In thinking about my design, I'm running into a lack of knowledge due to limited flying experience (I only have time in about five types), so I'm hoping a more experienced pilot can comment.

In those planes I've flown that had flaps, flap application caused a slight (CH 701) to moderate (Cessna 172) nose-up pitch. This seems "natural" because it means that flap application automatically trims for a lower speed; on the Cessna in particular the change in trim feels appropriate when turning base to final, reducing workload a tad.

However, I'm aware that pitch change on flap application is highly dependent on total geometry. I'm at the point in my design where I'm finalizing flap sizing. I have a simple trade-off: the more nose-down pitch I permit (anywhere from "negative" (some nose-up) to "lots"), the bigger I can make my flaps, and the lower my stall speed gets. But having not flown such a plane, I'm not terribly sure how difficult it will be to get accustomed to.

As a rough example, by going from no trim change at flap application to needing one degree elevator deflection per 10° flap application, I can reduce stall speed by about one knot.

So, I guess I should have specific questions:
1) Thoughts?
2) Can anyone recommend a somewhat common plane with nose-down pitch on flap application that I can maybe try to find locally and get a flight in?
3) Does anyone familiar with such a plane have feelings about the desirability of this tradeoff?
4) Any other gotchas I'm missing?

Back