cardboard and duct tape airplane

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by wadeedward, Feb 9, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 17, 2006 #41

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I wasn't referring to the overall workability of the scheme. I'll bet it could actually be done.

My 'troll' comment was directed at the poster, not the post. "Hey guys, I'm mental patient and a deadbeat dad, and I want to build an airplane out of paper. How should I do it?" And when multiple people gave reasonable answers to that question: "No, that's not right, I'm going to do it this way."

Maybe I'm wrong, in which case I owe the guy an apology, but that smacks of trying to stir up argument. Thus the 'troll' comment.

2. May 20, 2006 #42

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

As They Say..

There's no countin' on fools an' idjits...

He's had his advice and his 'five minutes.' I'm outa here.

3. May 22, 2006 #43

superflea

superflea

superflea

Re: Paper is Heavy

And your hobby is building and flying full scale paper airplanes?? perhaps his hobby is oragami.

I don't envision him building a C310 or even a J3, but rather something much more in line with an open struture ultra light type of thing. While I wouldn't do it, I just don't see why you say it wouldn't work or that he would die in the process. flight doesn't mean FL370. i would think that 10 ft alt. and 30 mph would constitute flight. worst case scenario is he buys a few more years with adult supervision.
    So whether this was a troll or a very serious question, it did lead to a few pages of honest discussion and thought, and either way whats wrong with that. I would ask that you try not to be so sensitive about your hobby if he does kill himself wrapped in egg cartons then chalk it up to natural selection.

4. May 23, 2006 #44

velojym

velojym

velojym

I think everyone should, of course, be responsible for their own actions (or inaction), however, in the current political climate, fools all too easily provide ammunition for those who would tear us from the sky.

5. May 23, 2006 #45

Nilsen

Nilsen

Nilsen

I just got 60 4x8 foot sheets of corregated cardboard delivered to box up a bunch of artwork for a client. All stacked up it looked just big enough to build a teeny plane but weighed in at about 200 pounds. Still, each time I moved a single sheet there was some sort of airplane quality about it ...

I'm new here but I second the paper too heavy statement yet I dig how the whole group got behind this crazy idea for a little while.

6. May 23, 2006 #46

superflea

superflea

superflea

Its a shame though isn't it. I mean that this paper airplane thing is the exact spirit that led to powered heavier than air flight in the first place, and now some how a hundred years later GA should feel threatened by the very spirit that gave birth to it to begin with. Now don't take that as sarcasm, it is not meant that way. I understand that we cant have people going around killing themselves and others in poorly designed and built paper airplanes, but none the less there is something to be said for the spirit of even having the idea to begin with.

My above comments were directed at some one that took offense at the mere idea of it and as such invited the original poster to find a new hobby. I think that is wrong. the discussion alone is of some value even if the duct tape idea isn't. after all failure in this endeavor doesn't mean death, injury, or even closer FAA scrutiny. I wouldn't even consider flying it without a parachute at any real altitude, and to win the "bet" all he may need is some clear altitude and some measurable distance. the Wright Bros. first flight was not so impressive in its speed, altitude, or distance by todays standards but was good enough for the history books.
    So while I agree that it is an absolutly insane idea, I have to say that to tell a guy to 'get out of my hobby' is uncalled for, and the fear of being yanked from the sky as a result of a possible (probable) failure also seems unlikely if the correct precautions are taken. I am no doubt out gunned in this discussion so I guess all I can say is that it will no doubt never see the light of day any way, after all an egg white glue holding a briggs and stratton engine on a paper mache' firewall lol, so whats the harm in the discussion.

7. May 25, 2006 #47

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Well, all the above comments aside, do the rules state 'only' cardboard and duct tape? Seems to me that cardboard could be pretty tough when coated in epoxy. :p:

8. May 31, 2006 #48

CAB

CAB

CAB

Come on..........

Of course it could be done! What is cardboard? Engineered paper.
    What is paper? Very thin wood.
    Wood airplanes have been flying since 1903!

CAB
    Bearhawk#862

9. May 31, 2006 #49

Peter V

Peter V

Peter V

Guess he was scared-off by the engineering nerds. :rolleyes: Maybe there's a bulletin board somewhere where dreamers are more welcome?:D

I think a good option would be to build a trike. You get rid of the engine mounting problems (he can wear it on his back) and the complications of control surfaces. It shouldn't be too taxing to make a hangglider wing from paper and cardboard.

10. May 31, 2006 #50

orion

orion

orion

There are dreamers and then there are fools . . . Dreamers are welcome here but when common sense is not a part of the dream, it then just becomes a futile exercise.

It is the job of the "engineering nerds", whether here or anywhere else, to keep the folks alive. If the advice is blunt, maybe it's for a reason. It's all in how you ask the question and what you do with the answer.

11. Jun 1, 2006 #51

Peter V

Peter V

Peter V

Oh come now, common sense is such a bore! I love hearing about home made cruise missiles and people flying deck chairs tied to helium balloons. These are the people that hold the water speed record and motorcycle speed records. They're the fun ones to talk to at parties! :gig:

...anyway, back to the subject - another good option is hemp or cotton paper. Technically it's still paper, but with the strength of good ol' fashioned fabric. 25" X 38" sheets of 40% Hemp, 40% flax and 20% cotton are available from a place called Ecosource paper. Should be stronger than currency paper.

But I don't think bullet-in-the-head guy (or does he prefer 'deadbeat dad'?) could afford to build it if it's any more elaborate than a powered hang glider. Also nitrous oxide would help get a typical carburation starved lawn mower engine going better at a lower cost (better off with a bigger carb though, Mikuni makes then cheap for go carts.

12. Jun 11, 2012 #52

crazy and i know it

crazy and i know it

crazy and i know it

he is most likely dead