• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CAD files for Sonerai II parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricAos

I have just started drawing all the parts to have laser cut. Then I started wondering if someone has already done it. I have no desire to reinvent, or redraw the wheel.

Kinda brings up a second question I have too. Is laser cutting ok? I worry slightly about the edges being hardend from the cutting. I know there is a difference, after drilling out a few holes that I've had burned undersize before. Would water jet be better?

Eric

Yes "others" have cad drawings and cut lists,they aren't keen on sharing them though.... I'm not sure why, I offered to chip in some money for their time but nada. When I start I will develope a cut list for a Sonerai 1, I will share, but you'll probably beat me to it. Their was some laser cut parts for sale for the sonerai's but not sure where I saw them. I'll post it if I find them again.

Eric,
Laser should be fine. I will suggest you still grind/smooth the edge to avoid crack initiation under stress. It will also remove the burn surface.
Do you also want to laser cut the tubes? I imagine that would be a huge time saving.
I remember having seen screen shots of a 3D frame but forgot where.
I have few files myself (hub washer, elevator trim) but the parts aren't finished yet so i don't know if they are correct.

Manu

Thanks guys. I'll just go ahead and do my own drawings. Probably would have spent as much time verifying anyone elses drawings anyhow.

Cartesian has a tube kit for the S1. I don't think I could justify the cost of it though. I can cope the tubes. And once they are welded nobody will know the difference. But with the flat parts, I like the look of the nice edges.

http://www.cartesiantube.com/aircraftlibrary.html

Eric

Not sure why nobody would share them. I think drawing them in CAD and having them cut would significantly shorten build time.

When I return home (in a couple of weeks) I have a CAD file for the jack screw trim system. I cut mine, on a water-jet, from 2ea. 1/2" aluminum plates and then machined the pockets for bushings and pulley.

1/2 inch aluminum plate sounds kinda of unnecessarily massive and probably heavier then steel plate.

The plates only began life as 1/2". After machining them they are 1/8" thick top and bottom. The cad files are only 2 dimensional for the water-jet. I do have the horizontal stabilizer attachment piece. This part needs to be milled with a 3/4" ball end mill so that it wraps around the tubing. And remember that by weight aluminum is stronger than steel.

Attachments

• Horizontal Stab Attach.dxf
    46.6 KB · Views: 67
At a 1/2 like your first post an aluminum part would be heavier then steel used in most trim screws. Aluminum has an ultimate tensile strength that by weight is better then steel, but it has an endurance curve that is more affected by fatigue then steel. The infinite cyclical fatigue loading for aluminum is 12000 PSi while 4130 it is about 48500 psi.

Hopefully you accounted for these factors in your design.

Thanks for your concern. The profile is the same as Fred's dimensions so if someone wanted to cut two plates from 4130 the file will work for that also. If no one wants it then I will not bother with posting it.

I would be interested in seeing the file. As well as any pics you might have of the parts. I plan on doing the jackscrew adjuster too, and want to integrate it into the initial design.
Eric

I have drawn up a few cad files but unless I get the ok from great plains I am not sure I can legally share them. I would love to but don't want to get in trouble. Also they need a little polishing up. I have some invisible gaps and some overlaps I can't find.
Chad

Here I have the plate profile for cutting with a water-jet. As soon as I return home I'll make some pictures.

Attachments

• trim.dxf
    16.8 KB · Views: 65
If someone from great plains reads this and can speak for them gives me the ok, I will post all the cad files I have to help out the community and get more sonerais built and flying. I have all the parts on the big sheets converted to cad for water jet or router cutting
Chad

Back