• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building a Rotax 670....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProfessor8138

Does anyone have information on building a 670 Rotax ?
I have nothing against the 2-3 people that I hear are building these engines,I hear good & I hear bad about each,but I would like to build my own.

Here's where I'm at right now with the parts that I have...
Correct year 670 from a sled,582 gray head,dual ignition system,582 carbs and oil bottle.

The following is the information that I have gathered about building a 670 ....if it is wrong please correct me.
1. O-rings are JBM
2. Platinum ceramic top pistons are WSM
3. Waterpump seal is upgraded to ceramic and run green silica antifreeze
4. Rave valves should be metal
5. Rods should be double slotted for oiling
6. Crankshaft is either rebuilt original or replaced with 1999 crankshaft .....not sure which one
7. Bearings are German Fag with pin
8. Case is machined for prov.8 and ceramic waterpump seal

As a side note.......
I've looked at Rotax Rick's website and even talked with him on the phone,nice enough guy and he seems very passionate about what he does.
I am in no way criticizing anyone but his information and numbers just didnt add up for me.
He quoted a price of almost $4,000 to build an airworthy engine once I send him all of my parts.....remember,I already have a 670 from a sled with all the needed 582 parts.
But his website says that a 670 rebuild which replaces the crank,pistons,rings,rods,bearings,gaskets and seals only runs $2,200.
Basically,I'm just needing a "rebuild" to convert my engine for aircraft use.....yes I realize the cases need to be machined for the seal and provision 8 but $1,800 for the machining?
Hopefully he was misunderstanding what I was telling him about the parts that I have.
Once again....I am not bashing anyone in any way.
However,if the numbers don't fall in line with the info that I've read then I will be building my own engine.

Kevin

Back