Any good sites or tools to find hangar or shaded storage?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

CaptainCoyote

I have a line on a Challenger ultralight not too far away and the price and condition sounds right, but I am struggling to find somewhere to put it.

Being a fabric covered aircraft I don't really want to just put it out in the nevada sun but I am not finding anything outside the Vegas class B where I can park it in the shade without parking it in a whole other state. Even then the options seem few and far between.

Are there any tools you guys use to help with that search? Or does anyone know a place within a couple hours of Vegas with affordable covered parking?

Thanks!

Kiwi303

Hardwares store posts and steel wires + turnbuckles + heavy weedmat mesh.

You need a parasol not an umbrella. String some wires between tall posts and cover with weedmat cloth, it'll keep the sun from frying things, and you aren't going to be dealing with florida hurricanes or midwest tornados after all.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Contact my friend Bill Reid (702) 581 toozerotootoo and tell him Bill from Whiteman Airport gave you the number. Tell him that you need to find some hangar space "out at the ranch" for a low and slow experimental, and see if he can find you some.

"The Ranch" is AZ50, Triangle Airpark, about 30 miles south of Hoover Dam on the Arizona side of the river. It is an absolute paradise for the kind of flying you do with a Challenger. Bruce, Bobby, Walt, and the boys have built a wonderful little private strip, some hangars, etc. A close knit family of old-school airport bums.

It is a short distance away from Vegas but it will be inexpensive and well worth having your airplane there.

Just make sure to peel any "Bernie in 2020!" bumper stickers off the car when you arrive there, and wear your "I'm one of her Basket of Deplorables" T-shirt. If you really need to leave that Bernie sticker on the car... you might want to be wearing some Kevlar :)

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Contact my friend Bill Reid (702) 581 toozerotootoo and tell him Bill from Whiteman Airport gave you the number. Tell him that you need to find some hangar space "out at the ranch" for a low and slow experimental, and see if he can find you some.

"The Ranch" is AZ50, Triangle Airpark, about 30 miles south of Hoover Dam on the Arizona side of the river. It is an absolute paradise for the kind of flying you do with a Challenger. Bruce, Bobby, Walt, and the boys have built a wonderful little private strip, some hangars, etc. A close knit family of old-school airport bums.

It is a short distance away from Vegas but it will be inexpensive and well worth having your airplane there.

Just make sure to peel any "Bernie in 2020!" bumper stickers off the car when you arrive there, and wear your "I'm one of her Basket of Deplorables" T-shirt. If you really need to leave that Bernie sticker on the car... you might want to be wearing some Kevlar :)

Love the comment VB!

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Hardwares store posts and steel wires + turnbuckles + heavy weedmat mesh.

You need a parasol not an umbrella. String some wires between tall posts and cover with weedmat cloth, it'll keep the sun from frying things, and you aren't going to be dealing with florida hurricanes or midwest tornados after all.
Their is such a thing as purpose designed "shade cloth". UV resistant, which weedmat is not so much, and it's much better structurally. Shade Cloth: Lowest Prices, Best Shipping | Greenhouse Megastore

Last edited:

CaptainCoyote

This is awesome! Thanks so much, I will definitely make the call!

As for the politics, let's just say I'd fit in.

Thanks again!

delta

Wait for a good folding winger with enclosed trailer that you can park in your driveway. You might ask VB's friend if he knows of something closer to home just for kicks.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I apologize to the moderators or anyone who (rightfully) thinks my comments were bordering on inappropriate. I was not trying to delve into any verboten topics, and for the record my personal politics are "Far Center".

I just happen to know the folks out at that airport fairly well, I have seen some of their riveting equipment, and simply wanted to make sure the good Captain was welcomed (as opposed to mistaken for a silhouette). I believe the correct aviation term is "knowledge of local meteorological conditions".

But let's not go any further down that road, because it certainly would be inappropriate on this forum for all.

Kiwi303

Their is such a thing as purpose designed "shade cloth". UV resistant, which weedmat is not so much, and it's much better structurally. Shade Cloth: Lowest Prices, Best Shipping | Greenhouse Megastore
I knew there was something!!! just couldn't bring it to mind... I knew it wasn't tarpaulins, but my brain farted and all that went byebye.

God knows we see enough of those sunshades over school playgrounds, if they can hang over a couple hundred screaming kids, they can hang over one plane.

Hephaestus

Pole barn and tarp building guys have been busy with these lately. Spied a few around alberta that went up this winter... If the goals to provide shade...