• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

"Anti-Homebuilt" Pilots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickW

What is it with pilots who are anti-Homebuilt...?:angry:

I'm doing my damndest to convince my wife that we, like thousands of other EAA people, can successfully build and safely fly a kit plane that we build ourselves.

But it seems like every time I turn around, some "pilot" chimes in and brags about crashes he's heard about involving homebuilts, people he knew who've died in homebuilts, or other misadventures that he's "heard" about involving homebuilts.

I'd rather fly in a plane that I built, as opposed to one that some stranger built 40 years ago and that has been maintained by Christ only knows who ever since then.

In my humble opinion, a pilot who doesn't have the balls or the skill to build and fly his own plane does not rate the privilege of criticizing those who do.

Just wanted to vent. My wife just got home from vacation and was sitting next to a "pilot" on the airliner who put the fear of homebuilts into her. I wish I could find that SoB and put my hands around his neck...:mad:

- Patrick

Edit - I meant to put this in the Hanger Talk section, not the Beginner section. Sorry.

Last edited:
Back