• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Annoying alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martti Mattila

Hello I´m under a stress, I flipped my Exp. Motorglider, build by another party. Its VW engine had crank bendet, I already both a new used well mainteined engine and installed it. But when I aplied inspection I was told by our own Finnish FAA that if I´m gonna replace the original motor witch their records says is from VW 1500 S car to another one witch is from VW 1600 car. That transition will be a Big Modification and reguires huge ammount of paperwork and testing. But if I´m gonna fix this original 1500 its ok. by them. If I make a application for it and the plus side would be a reference for the future repairs. Original had been owerbored to 84 mm. time ago so its now 1530 cc. and the well maintained 1600 from Aircraft use is Std. 85.5mm. so its 1584cc. both the same 69 mm. stroke. A huge 54 cubik centimeter difference that reguires new calculation for engine stand and a test program, this is EASA. I am attemted to build a short stroke and big bore version from VW so more recemble Lyc. Cont. line. In Finland theres only Rallygross guys, they use more revs. Aviation people here dont know how the Engine works, they only know "Dont do this dont do that, you must play by the book." So I ask from forun where I would be with 90 mm. bore and 64 mm. stroke. In performance wice. Those are of the shelf parts. Btw. I´m gonna make a Bob Hoower mods to the case. Carving a new prop is no big deal for me. Someone just said. It is not only what you stand, but who is standing with you. Maybe old saying but I heard it today firs time.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Back