• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Alternative 4 tank fuel system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falconflier

Hello all,

I was wondering if i can get some brainstorming from the community. I am building a tango 2 XR composite homebuilt, and i need to work out a different fuel system as i am installing a Subaru EJ-22 engine and PSRU.

In summary, i have 4 fuel tanks (2 main and 2 Aux) and a transfer system with a facet pump on each wing to transfer each aux into its respective main fuel tank. The problem comes in when a facet pump fails to transfer, It puts the CG well rear of the envelope if an immediate landing is not a possibility over remote terrain in Canada and overwater flights.

So i have put in a direct feed from each aux tank and taken it up to the main fuel selector valve area in the cabin. I was looking to interconnect each aux tank fuel line to the main fuel supply AFTER after the main fuel valve on a secondary emergency fuel valve, that would allow me (in an emergency, non facet pump transfer ability) to select on the "emergency" fuel selector valve and take direct flow from either aux tank. Obviously in this case the fuel return lines from the engine compartment are still plumbed to the the normal fuel selector to return fuel to either main tank, depending on the normal fuel valve selection.

There is no space for 2 facet pumps per wing...

My problem is finding a secondary fuel selector valve which takes a fuel input horizontally (not from underneath) to prevent fuel vaporization, and one, which under normal operating conditions allows fuel to flow straight through it (Best option if i can find a suitable valve, no luck so far though)

I could have a 5 way selector for the normal fuel selector valve, and plump the return line to a 3 way fuel selector valve with no "OFF" capability. I would then have to select either L or R tank to put the return fuel back.

thanks

Falconflier

Back